Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang.
I got my sliders today and want to install them tonight but I wanted to know what you guys who have installed them did for the brake lines on the frame?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I was able to re attach mine ok. What brand of sliders did you get? Also do yourself a favor and get an 8x1.25 tap and chase out those threads first. You'll thank me later :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If they are the TGs...

I unbolted the lines on the frame, bolted on the skids, and then rebolted the lines back in their original place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As the other guys said, chase the threads with a tap first. It will save you alot of cussing, and swap front to back on the brake line clamps. It works like a champ.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Also zip tie a piece of rubber tubing where the brake line goes over the top of the frame rail at the back as it goes over to the back passenger side wheel.
I agree with all above and believe that Cogen Man is right on with this recommendation.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I was able to re attach mine ok. What brand of sliders did you get? Also do yourself a favor and get an 8x1.25 tap and chase out those threads first. You'll thank me later :lol: :cheers:
x2 and get some anti-sieze on the bolt threads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys..Yes before I had installed them I found the other posts about chasing those threads and the blue anti-sieze..Did that first.

Took me an hour to install both sides..went on very smooth..I did wrap a piece of hose and zip tied it to give more protection where I thought the line might rub the bracket..I will look tonight about swapping the front and rear brackets..there was no way mine was going back where it was mounted. They look great..added protection AND the fill the body portion with that needed look..I love em! They were also shipped like some treasure the way they were packed.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts

6x1.25 unless there's some difference in model years. Bought 8, only to return for 6.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I used M8 x 1.25 tap to clean out the threads on my 2007.
Weird. I'll offer up the chaser I bought to anyone who will send a SASE. Pass it around for as long as it'll work. It made job easy. Save $29.99.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Weird. I'll offer up the chaser I bought to anyone who will send a SASE. Pass it around for as long as it'll work. It made job easy. Save $29.99.
It is definitely an M8x1.25 thread for the rock rails mounting holes. An M6 bolt is tiny and definitely not strong enough to be used for attaching rockrails.

If you paid $30 bucks for a single tap, then you seriously got ripped off.
A single tap at the hardware store costs about 5 bucks for this size.

Westward 2LXN5 Hand Tap Taper Carbon Steel M8x1.25

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
It is definitely an M8x1.25 thread for the rock rails mounting holes. An M6 bolt is tiny and definitely not strong enough to be used for attaching rockrails.

If you paid $30 bucks for a single tap, then you seriously got ripped off.
A single tap at the hardware store costs about 5 bucks for this size.

Westward 2LXN5 Hand Tap Taper Carbon Steel M8x1.25

Agreed. Nothing open but Autozone. I'm perplexed on the sizing of one I purchased, but it was correct. The bolt sent by Exp One is an 8, so I got no clue.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Ok, I feel like a stooge. I bought a 6x1.25 thread repair kit, which includes thread inserts and an 8x1.25 tap. I must have had a mod buzz, cause I'm really not this stupid.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
i ended up using one of my brake line bracket bolts and some cutting oil to chase out the threads, they have sort of a self tapping tip and didn't require a trip to the store.

all my slider bolts got lost in shipping but i picked up some 10.9 M8 1.25 35 mm shoulder bolts and hardened washers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts