Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Camburg suspension for the FJ and 305 tires and it is JACKED UP!! :clap: :rocker: :rawr: :king:

now I can't get in it. :mecry: Well, I CAN.... it's just not very lady like. :lol:

I'm looking for some sort of step that can attach onto ARB rock sliders. I know they make them because I saw a guy at my old job had some that clip onto factory offroad package sliders. Anyone know where I can find these and/or if they fit the ARB sliders?

here is a pic of my sliders.... (we were mid-install so that's why the tires don't match up)

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
The ones on the OEM rails bolt into holes that are positionied in the supports which are made of plate steel instead of tube. They're not generic clip-ons that you could just hang on any rock slider.

That being said, you can fabricate (or have fabricated) basically anything you want. You're just not going to find an off the shelf "clip on".

BTW, I'd be very concerned about driving along with a fabricated steel part that was just clipped onto the sliders with spring force. If you built something that bolts in and then unbolts easily, that would be much better in my opinion. Of course, you could design and build something that attaches with some sort of secure latch mechanism, but that starts to be more complex of a build. There's nothing wrong with welding in strong tabs with bolt holes and having a bolt-on/removable solution.

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
There are steps you can add to the stock rock rails
Tomorrow I will take a picture of them on the wife's TT
You just pop 2 bolts to take them off for wheeling
I will have to try and find the name of them.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I designed some for the Demello Hybrids. The prototype is currently in production.
I'll let you know how they turn out. I have a 3 year old that is my side-kick and she is starting to want to do things on her own like climb in the FJ. She can do it now but it takes her a bit to get up in there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Layton showed me a picture of some on some tube sliders that should fit. If I knew how to use the search function better I'd find the picture for you. Hmmmm layton is on maybe he'll catch this message.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
what ive got, where custom done...ive been contacted by several others, who now have the same "steps", and all are just as happy as ive been...they allow easy access to not only the front, but also the rear..not only that, but they can be easily removed, protect from door dings, and you could even flip them up to add an additonal protection against walls, trees, rocks, etc.etc while wheeling

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
keep legs together (all gender appropriate) and jump in by pulling yourself in with the SOS handle....then swing legs in. no need for sliders/rock rails/steps/etc. I'm 5'6" (on a good day) and can jump into the drivers seat in 1/4 second w/o hitting anything

·
Admin
7,668 Posts
Here's the cheapest fix I know.

My mom (little old lady) drives a 1 ton dodge ram 4x4.

She has a white plastic stool with a rope attached. She opens the door, grabs the stool, hooks the rope on the inside door handle, gets in, then pulls the stool in behind her.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok!! That's what I'm talking about!! Something bolt on, I can remove before wheeling, not ugly.... now does it matter that my sliders are ARB and those are rocktek?? Or are those custom??

keep legs together (all gender appropriate) and jump in by pulling yourself in with the SOS handle....then swing legs in. no need for sliders/rock rails/steps/etc. I'm 5'6" (on a good day) and can jump into the drivers seat in 1/4 second w/o hitting anything
There is noooo way. My floorboard is a few inches below my butt. When I put my right foot on the floorboard to get in my right knee is bent up to my chest and I'm 5'6". It's very yoga-like. :lol: If I'm wearing pants, high heels, or wedge shoes it's probably all good.... but if I'm wearing fitted skirt I'm stuck. Plus my mom is 5'4" and she had a FIT when she saw the FJ. When I told her I'd look into a step option she calmed down a little.

Don't get me wrong, I love the lift. LOOOVE it!! :pinklove: I'm willing to wear pants from now on. I just have to think about my mom, too. I'm not a fan of steps but I need a quick fix until I can buy better sliders and see if I can sell these ARBs.

Here's the cheapest fix I know.

My mom (little old lady) drives a 1 ton dodge ram 4x4.

She has a white plastic stool with a rope attached. She opens the door, grabs the stool, hooks the rope on the inside door handle, gets in, then pulls the stool in behind her.

This is my temporary fix for my mom!! hahaha Either that or this ...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The ones on the OEM rails bolt into holes that are positionied in the supports which are made of plate steel instead of tube. They're not generic clip-ons that you could just hang on any rock slider.

That being said, you can fabricate (or have fabricated) basically anything you want. You're just not going to find an off the shelf "clip on".

BTW, I'd be very concerned about driving along with a fabricated steel part that was just clipped onto the sliders with spring force. If you built something that bolts in and then unbolts easily, that would be much better in my opinion. Of course, you could design and build something that attaches with some sort of secure latch mechanism, but that starts to be more complex of a build. There's nothing wrong with welding in strong tabs with bolt holes and having a bolt-on/removable solution.
Yes, I think the bolting on is what I'm looking for.... I guess I was hoping for something that would clamp on around the pipe and bolt securely.

Yeah, something cheap and easy if I was trying to make a custom one. kinda like this? .... I know it's a pipe shoe but I'm talking about the clamping around. Obviously the step would hang from below.. so I don't have to weld anything.

Of course that Rocktek one is peeeerdy! I'm just wondering if it's a lot of chaching?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
The rockek one is custom. Which means, you could have it custom made for the size of the ARB rail as well.

There are no other rock rails out there that are lower than what the ARBs are. So no matter what you buy and how ever far they stick out, you still have the same height to step up to. I had the ARB rails and sold them for the Demellos. The ARBs just sit too far inward to be effective.

·
Admin
7,668 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ok!! That's what I'm talking about!! Something bolt on, I can remove before wheeling, not ugly.... now does it matter that my sliders are ARB and those are rocktek?? Or are those custom??

There is noooo way. My floorboard is a few inches below my butt. When I put my right foot on the floorboard to get in my right knee is bent up to my chest and I'm 5'6". It's very yoga-like. :lol: If I'm wearing pants, high heels, or wedge shoes it's probably all good.... but if I'm wearing fitted skirt I'm stuck. Plus my mom is 5'4" and she had a FIT when she saw the FJ. When I told her I'd look into a step option she calmed down a little.

Don't get me wrong, I love the lift. LOOOVE it!! :pinklove: I'm willing to wear pants from now on. I just have to think about my mom, too. I'm not a fan of steps but I need a quick fix until I can buy better sliders and see if I can sell these ARBs.

This is my temporary fix for my mom!! hahaha Either that or this ...

the rocktek are custom..but, that being said..i KNOW there at prob a dozen sets riding around in our fj world....feel free to email me, and ill be more then happy to answer any questions you may [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Those clamp ons look like a fine solution but I'd make sure of a few things before I set them in place.

One issue is width. The legal maximum width for a vehicle is 102". It might be possible to exceed that if you start with a full bodied FJ Cruiser with rock sliders, and then add things sticking out from both sides. I'd just check and see with a tape measure.

There's a potential issue of "width awareness", too. If you're so small that you think a lifted FJ Cruiser is too tall to get in and out of comfortably, then you probably don't have the abilty to hang your head out of the window and look backward down at the rocker panels as you come around a tight spot...

What I'm thinking is that you're at risk of parking lot mishaps.

If you had these parts and you mounted them straight down, or nearly so, it probably wouldn't be a problem. However, if you mounted them out at an angle, that could easily be a problem.

In the post above, where it's mentioned that you can mount them pointing up for wheeling, I would say probably not a good idea. If it can be done at all, you'd have to mount them farther back on the rails in order to be able to open and close the door (you'd probably lose the use of the suicide door), and then if you actually did rub it against a rock, it would just rotate in and crease the door panels. Those clamps are pretty good, but they're not THAT good.

By the way, those kinds of tubing clamps are a standard fabrication part. Here's one I have for 1 3/4":

Lots of well equipped 4x4 fab shops have these things in stock for multiple tube sizes.

Bending/cutting/notching a couple of pieces of tube, and then welding on these clamps would probably take me an hour or two for both sides. My guess is a fab shop would charge you by the hour plus some material. You'd drive in and have the job completed a few hours later.

$200-250ish for the set? I'm guessing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! Thanks everyone for ideas.... :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those clamp ons look like a fine solution but I'd make sure of a few things before I set them in place.

One issue is width. The legal maximum width for a vehicle is 102". It might be possible to exceed that if you start with a full bodied FJ Cruiser with rock sliders, and then add things sticking out from both sides. I'd just check and see with a tape measure.

There's a potential issue of "width awareness", too. If you're so small that you think a lifted FJ Cruiser is too tall to get in and out of comfortably, then you probably don't have the abilty to hang your head out of the window and look backward down at the rocker panels as you come around a tight spot...

What I'm thinking is that you're at risk of parking lot mishaps.

If you had these parts and you mounted them straight down, or nearly so, it probably wouldn't be a problem. However, if you mounted them out at an angle, that could easily be a problem.

In the post above, where it's mentioned that you can mount them pointing up for wheeling, I would say probably not a good idea. If it can be done at all, you'd have to mount them farther back on the rails in order to be able to open and close the door (you'd probably lose the use of the suicide door), and then if you actually did rub it against a rock, it would just rotate in and crease the door panels. Those clamps are pretty good, but they're not THAT good.

By the way, those kinds of tubing clamps are a standard fabrication part. Here's one I have for 1 3/4":

Lots of well equipped 4x4 fab shops have these things in stock for multiple tube sizes.

Bending/cutting/notching a couple of pieces of tube, and then welding on these clamps would probably take me an hour or two for both sides. My guess is a fab shop would charge you by the hour plus some material. You'd drive in and have the job completed a few hours later.

$200-250ish for the set? I'm guessing.

Wow!! Super helpful. Thanks for bringing up parking issues. The last thing I want is to clip something.

I really was considering the step for driver and passenger only. I rarely have anyone besides my son in the back.

I think this will be resolved in a few months when I can get my hands on different sliders.

Ok, I'm still researching.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts