Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried to purchase a a Rocktek Rear Bumper through a 3rd party source without any success. Finally after a couple of months of broken promises--I went straight to Justin at Rocktek. Man---what a delight to do business with. It took 7 days from the first time I talked to him and once we got my rig in his shop---total install took 2 hours and 15 minutes. He also fixed my All Pro Rear Links that had worked them self loose after some armor install. Thanks to Jim Dere for his recommendation on Justin!

Here are some pics of the different stages on the install!!

Parts laid out:

Removal of Parts from OEM:

This is a most critical cut here to assure a quality fit between new product and factory plastic. Justin did a superb job on this---no jagged edges ---looks very professional.

We did cut th tailpipe at the bend so it's totally out of the way. It's not below the base line of the bumper.

Rest of install:

And---the final product:

Waiting on my D-Shackles being powered coated. By the way --the trailer hitch is only used in work ---not left on there while wheeling:bigthumb::lol:

Cudos to Justin at Rocktek ---if you like this bumper----he's the ONLY man to see!!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you. Justin is definitely one of the best fab guys on the planet, and I have yet to see any of his products that wasn't absolutely first class; not to mention he can fix just about any problem you might ever have with your vehicle.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice, what is the overall weight added after removing parts of the stock rear?
I didn't ask but Justin lifted the bumper to put it place. I would say less than 75 lbs but I don't know for sure. The plastic rear bumper (OEM) weighs nothing. It didn't change the way the FJ sets at all.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad it worked out for you. Justin is definitely one of the best fab guys on the planet, and I have yet to see any of his products that wasn't absolutely first class; not to mention he can fix just about any problem you might ever have with your vehicle.

Jim
Thanks Jim--

I have some other minor problems that he is going to address for me. After looking at his work and his equipment in his shop--I kinda figured there's nothing this guy can not do. We are lucky to have him in this area.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Bumper actually weighs about 130 pounds.

I see you got impatient. Production finally picked up, now the bumpers are being produced faster, that's why it was quick. I'm sorry, but I doubt your "third party" was to blame. My rear bumper was the 2nd ever of this exact design, yours is probably the third. It looks good and hope you enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bumper actually weighs about 130 pounds.

I see you got impatient. Production finally picked up, now the bumpers are being produced faster, that's why it was quick. I'm sorry, but I doubt your "third party" was to blame. My rear bumper was the 2nd ever of this exact design, yours is probably the third. It looks good and hope you enjoy it.
Landy---

I didn't get impatient---waiting 41 days with no results is not impatient. But the difference is I'm not willing to pay "in full" for something in advance like you did---but thats just me. But it worked out well for both of us ---just in a different way. It fits like a glove---Justin really does nice work.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,462 Posts
Landy---

I didn't get impatient---waiting 41 days with no results is not impatient. But the difference is I'm not willing to pay "in full" for something in advance like you did---but thats just me. But it worked out well for both of us ---just in a different way. It fits like a glove---Justin really does nice work.:bigthumb:
41 Days...awe that's nuthin Terry! I waited my whole life for my FJ!:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Very nice, Terry. I really like Dustin's work, and it sure beats the 'nekkid' look, (almost like someone came along and yanked the FJ's britches down)... :lol:

Hard to believe that's all that Toyota put under that plastic, ain't it?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice, Terry. I really like Dustin's work, and it sure beats the 'nekkid' look, (almost like someone came along and yanked the FJ's britches down)... :lol:

Hard to believe that's all that Toyota put under that plastic, ain't it?
Dennis--

You mean yanked them off:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
258 Posts
COOKN, are you using your factory hitch or the one incorporated on the bumper itself? I cant tell for sure in the pics. If you're using the bumper, can you please post up some close-up shots? I'm thinking that since Justin hasnt gotten his swing-out version completed yet, that hitchgate might be a good addition. From the pics I've seen of the bumper from Addis, the receiver sits right in the middle of the bumper, so it might make up for some of the lost departure angle. The rear door may not clear it either.. hmmm. I like this concept though.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm using the one intergrated into the bumper hitch from Justin--swingout not that important to me but I would wait on Justin's anyway if I wanted one!

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts