Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
James here from Colorado FJ Cruisers, hi everybody!

I moved to Colorado for off-roading in 2011, and registered for my first FJ Summit in May 2011. I led my first trail at Summit in 2013, and attended every year until #13 in 2019. Like all of us, I was shocked when the Summit organizers announced earlier this year that they were ending FJ Summit.

Our own club has been running a smaller event each year in Buena Vista, called the Rocky Mountain FJ RoundUp. When the Summit cancellation was announced, I knew immediately that we'd be moving RoundUp to Ouray. I talked a few other friends into this crazy idea, and now we're ready to share the info!

We are happy to announce the first annual Rocky Mountain Toyota RoundUp ("RMTR"), July 19-22, 2023 in Ouray CO. Please visit the website and sign up for the newsletter, that's our primary means of communicating with attendees.

Why "Toyota RoundUp"? The RoundUp name is an homage to our late COFJ founder Jack Bottorf, who named our BV event "RoundUp". And we chose "Toyota" over "FJ" because we wanted to celebrate all Toyotas.

How far along are we in the planning? The USFS permit is submitted, we've already contracted with a caterer and have reserved the Ouray County Fairgrounds as event HQ. The fairgrounds offers a large parking lot for staging trail groups, and almost 5000 square feet of indoor dining and vendor space.

Registration Info: for our first year, we have capped the event at 150 trucks (not including vendors). For 2024 and beyond we plan on getting larger, but we need to find the limits of our venue and trail plan. What this means for registration is that we expect to sell out quickly. Keep an eye out for the e-mails, I would expect registration to open in March or April.

Our goals for RMTR: we're trying to keep the event low-cost for attendees and vendors. We're also trying to increase vendor engagement, by encouraging them to sponsor trail runs and interact with their trail groups for photos and video. For this first year with the lower attendee count, that means more spacing between trail groups and a less rushed pace on the trails.

About the organizers:
  • James - a co-founder of Colorado FJ Cruisers, I've attended 9 Summits and led trails at 7. I'm also the author of the FJ Buy/Sell guide here.
  • Kathy - a Rebelle Rally participant and offroading enthusiast, Kathy is a gifted artist and does all of the club's logos / swag.
  • Adam - does all the website / IT work for COFJ and RMTR, Adam has attended 10 Summits and led trails in Ouray for many years.
  • Eric - a former President of Colorado 4x4 Rescue & Recovery, is a very experienced trainer for offroading and recovery skills.
  • Hugo - aftermarket parts salesman extraordinaire, Hugo has attended multiple FJ Summits as a vendor and helps us coordinate with vendors for RMTR.
  • Alina - the official event photographer and audio/visual support, Alina is an outdoor enthusiast with an abundance of blogging / social media experience.

· Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Subscribed for updates, but have not received newsletter yet!

Oh sorry, got a bit excited. :whistle:
The only one we've sent out so far was announcing the dates about a month ago. We're planning on sending out a registration info one probably in December.

· Registered
1,359 Posts
The only one we've sent out so far was announcing the dates about a month ago. We're planning on sending out a registration info one probably in December.
Oh, don't worry, no hurry, I was been silly.
I do want to thank you and the rest of the organizers, I'm planning my first trip west since 2014 thanks to you. Looking forward to it.

· Registered
236 Posts
Been to two FJ Summits (12&13) and sadly havn't been able to make it back to Colorado since.
My first off roading experience 'ever' was Imogene on day one of Summit 12 with trail leader Jimmy Buffett. Also on that trail run were Big Mike and his dad Marlin of Marlin Crawler, Inc. It doesn't get any better than that!
I'm planning for RMTR with you guys in July!!

· Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been to two FJ Summits (12&13) and sadly havn't been able to make it back to Colorado since.
My first off roading experience 'ever' was Imogene on day one of Summit 12 with trail leader Jimmy Buffett. Also on that trail run were Big Mike and his dad Marlin of Marlin Crawler, Inc. It doesn't get any better than that!
I'm planning for RMTR with you guys in July!!
I still tell the story of spotting Big Mike out onto the rock on Imogene. When I asked him how far out he wanted to go, he said "all the way" :)

· Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I either subscribed a bunch of times or nothing is happening when I click subscribe. :( (sorry if its a bunch)
Yeah there's a bug on the e-mail submission where it doesn't give you any feedback after submitting. It's working, it just isn't saying so :)

· Premium Member
21 Posts
Sub’ed, been to Colorado once a couple years ago, I’d love to go with other rigs.

Attachments

Reactions: rotorhed1

· Registered
70 Posts
James here from Colorado FJ Cruisers, hi everybody!

I moved to Colorado for off-roading in 2011, and registered for my first FJ Summit in May 2011. I led my first trail at Summit in 2013, and attended every year until #13 in 2019. Like all of us, I was shocked when the Summit organizers announced earlier this year that they were ending FJ Summit.

Our own club has been running a smaller event each year in Buena Vista, called the Rocky Mountain FJ RoundUp. When the Summit cancellation was announced, I knew immediately that we'd be moving RoundUp to Ouray. I talked a few other friends into this crazy idea, and now we're ready to share the info!

We are happy to announce the first annual Rocky Mountain Toyota RoundUp ("RMTR"), July 19-22, 2023 in Ouray CO. Please visit the website and sign up for the newsletter, that's our primary means of communicating with attendees.

Why "Toyota RoundUp"? The RoundUp name is an homage to our late COFJ founder Jack Bottorf, who named our BV event "RoundUp". And we chose "Toyota" over "FJ" because we wanted to celebrate all Toyotas.

How far along are we in the planning? The USFS permit is submitted, we've already contracted with a caterer and have reserved the Ouray County Fairgrounds as event HQ. The fairgrounds offers a large parking lot for staging trail groups, and almost 5000 square feet of indoor dining and vendor space.

Registration Info: for our first year, we have capped the event at 150 trucks (not including vendors). For 2024 and beyond we plan on getting larger, but we need to find the limits of our venue and trail plan. What this means for registration is that we expect to sell out quickly. Keep an eye out for the e-mails, I would expect registration to open in March or April.

Our goals for RMTR: we're trying to keep the event low-cost for attendees and vendors. We're also trying to increase vendor engagement, by encouraging them to sponsor trail runs and interact with their trail groups for photos and video. For this first year with the lower attendee count, that means more spacing between trail groups and a less rushed pace on the trails.

About the organizers:
  • James - a co-founder of Colorado FJ Cruisers, I've attended 9 Summits and led trails at 7. I'm also the author of the FJ Buy/Sell guide here.
  • Kathy - a Rebelle Rally participant and offroading enthusiast, Kathy is a gifted artist and does all of the club's logos / swag.
  • Adam - does all the website / IT work for COFJ and RMTR, Adam has attended 10 Summits and led trails in Ouray for many years.
  • Eric - a former President of Colorado 4x4 Rescue & Recovery, is a very experienced trainer for offroading and recovery skills.
  • Hugo - aftermarket parts salesman extraordinaire, Hugo has attended multiple FJ Summits as a vendor and helps us coordinate with vendors for RMTR.
  • Alina - the official event photographer and audio/visual support, Alina is an outdoor enthusiast with an abundance of blogging / social media experience.
I think I am in for this. Haven't been to Ouray in several years now.

· Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I am in for this. Haven't been to Ouray in several years now.
Make sure to submit your e-mail address for the newsletter on the website. That's our primary communication process until registrations open.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
Nice to see this “resurrection”. Good chance ill be there. I attended thirteen Summits and usually led three trails at each one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts