Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FJ has been sitting for awhile, has always run flawlessly with 60k. This morning I started it up and idle was rough, check engine light came on. I read the codes and cylinder 5 was misfiring.

So I went to check the wiring and found seeds and rat poo all over, the little B*&* chewed through my injector wires, right at the plug.

These wires go right into the harness and are really short so I am wondering how to repair/ replace them. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, I found a replacement plug with wires, I'll splice them into the wire harness with solder and shrink wrap. easy fix but these rodents are really annoying.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I feel your pain. Had the same thing happen. Cost me over $500 to get fixed. I bought an ultrasonic rodent repeller to place under the hood. Seems to work as I haven't had a repeat.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I hope it is that easy.

I had the same problem. It turned out the pack rat also ate the wiring UNDER the intake manifold. Repair was $5500. We are grateful our insurance covered it - only out the $500 deductible.

Matt B

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Newer cars are generally made with more “environmentally friendly” wire insulation(soy based plastic insulation). The PVC stuff back in the eighties was apparently terrible for the environment but at least it doesn’t smell like food to the wildlife. This is actually why I typically wire my builds/mods with wire from aircraft suppliers, b/c the aircraft industry essentially appreciates longevity over all else. The wire I get is tough as nails, abrasion resistant, chemical resistant, heat resistant, and apparently mice just plain won’t eat it. Sorry it’s not a good solution for FJ factory wiring shortfalls though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I stored my FJ60, they got me too. Then an old coonass from Jennings LA told me to sprinkle a seasoning called Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning on it. SOB but it worked!! I covered the under hood area with it and no rats, even though there was a rice operation a few hundred feet away.

When you sprinkle it, and get a whiff - you will understand...LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never mind, I found a replacement plug with wires, I'll splice them into the wire harness with solder and shrink wrap. easy fix but these rodents are really annoying.
This just happened to me, do you know where I can get replacement parts? thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second the Peppermint Oil. I spray it on anything that sits a while (lawn mowers, tractor, etc.) I even spray some inside my tool box out in my shed. Don"t know or care why, but mice hate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts