Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Yeah that doesn't sound right. From what I have previously heard the other arrow is supposed to point away from the centerline of the truck.

They don't make Left and Right covers though...so the instructions must be incorrect.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The covers are not symmetrical, and the arrow points away from the centerline. I believe this is a pic of the kit giving the part number. AFAIK the covers are not available individually.

Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Good deal! Yeah I think that their little diagram should have just pointed to the outward center arrow instead and noted to have it facing out. I think the other two arrows are to assist in removal when they are already installed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re-installed with side arrow pointing outward and it fits as it should.
Cool. I removed my roof rack back in April, documented it pretty thoroughly, and posted a "Howto" to the tech forum. But I didn't take a pic of the kit with the numbers and parts spread out. That's why I had to get the second pic off eBay.

Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess this has been resolved, but my covers situation is still a little upside down.

The right side went on smoothly, and the fit is absolutely perfect. Covers are orientated with the two arrows forward, side arrows away from the vehicle.

But the left side is another deal entirely. Despite being orientated with the side arrows facing away, the installation process involved a lot of snapping and re-snapping the covers on to get them positioned correctly, and the resulting fit is still not perfect. Close, but not perfect. On the rearmost left side cover, there is actually a 2-3mm gap along the outside edge of the cover.

My initial reaction was that there must be two kits of three covers, one for the left and one for the right, and I’d accidentally received two kits for the right.

Guess I’m wrong, but still... The right side definitely feels factory correct, while the left feels somewhat rigged.

I wonder if someone who received an FJ from the factory without a roof rack, like a 2011 NSSE or whatever, could weigh in on what their covers look like.

I honestly wonder if there is supposed to be two sets of three covers per kit, but Toyota screwed up the order, decided the numbers didn’t warrant a fix, and shipped what they had.

I mean, two sets with the twin arrows always pointing forward strikes me as a much simpler explanation than those arrows representing where to pull for de-installation... Arrows are always used for direction. Why not just write “pull here” or similar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Hannibal!! I guess that’s just the way they are... Is yours an NSSE or did you install those? Do you know if the right/pass side covers fit better than those on the left/drive?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts