Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone installed a roof mounted DVD player/ screen combo. I need one to keep my kid from jumping around in the back seat.

My question is if the view through the rearview mirror limited from this install?

Can you please post some pictures of any installations you may have done?

fk

·
Registered
685 Posts
I bought a headrest set that has velcro straps, so it can go between cars. Two moniters and a dvd player were about $175 at target. Not as nice looking as built ins, but MUCH cheaper, and if we take the wifes car on a trip we just swap them out. Plus they came with a 110 adapter so they can bring them into the hotel, etc.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
We have the same one as mentioned above.

Two headrest mounted dvd players (each with separate dvd playing ability).
Add a pair of headphones and your set.

We liked this solution, because as mentioned you can easily move it from vehicle to vehicle. (Think car rental when on vacation that you flew to).

Not a ultra "clean" install -- but the 5 minutes it takes to install or uninstall if moving to a different vehicle sealed the deal.

One little 'mod' we did was a 1/8" stereo plug splitter for each dvd player; this way we ~could~ have four people listening to TWO different dvds. We are cool like that.

We should really take some pictures -- the 9" screens are PLENTY for the kids in the back seat.

And though while we haven't tried it.. the front seat passenger could EASILY watch the second DVD player if removed from the headrest and simply held by the passenger.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the top mount DVD, dont have any issues with loss of vision and I'm tall!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
homedad, Those look great! What brand are they and what headrest did you use (those don't look like the stock headrests)?

I bought Visualogic 7" dual dvd but those screens bigger than 7's even looks bigger than the 9's too. I used a Mercedes headrest, this was before visualogic came out with the new ones mounted in FJ headrest.

I also agree a ceiling mount would blind your rear viewing, which is already limited. I would go with the headrest types, trust me you will be happy and so will the kiddos!

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
The power is run from the fuse box/behind the radio to the center console/then under the seats were the dvd is mounted....the headrests come with the monitors in them...9.2 inch screens...with game inputs/headphone jacks on the screens and I ran the audio to the aux input on the Jammer....look and sound great....less filling....
Here's the box for numbers

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a question for homedad...

where did you buy those headrest/monitors? I am from Dubai.. Are those available for purchase online?

fk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts