Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FJ I ordered and should get his week doesn't have a roof rack. I think I want one now, can this be done as an aftermarket item? It this something I could do myself?

Thoughts please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
GoFastHockey said:
The FJ I ordered and should get his week doesn't have a roof rack. I think I want one now, can this be done as an aftermarket item? It this something I could do myself?

Thoughts please.
If you want the Toyota one you can have your dealer install it or you can buy it from their parts department or TRDSource.com and do the install yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Toyotaman said:
You might look into the warranty implications of doing it yourself...I have no idea what they might be, but it is possible that it would be to your advantage to have the rack installed rather than doing the work yourself.
Agreed and it's only a .5 hour job
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
After seeing the FJC at the KC Auto Show over the weekend, it seemed that Toyota had prepared the roof at the factory to accept the rack installed at port. The two (a yellow and a blue one) at the show had roof racks, which are anchored along strips in the roof on each side. The six points where the rack is bolted to the roof seemed to indicate that some sort of knock-out pieces had covered the places where the bolt holes are located. It appeared that once the knock-outs are removed the bolt holes will be exposed. The roof rack is attached by 12 counter sunk (flush fitting into the rack) Phillips head screws, two at each anchor point. The screws are substantial and appear to be either the metric equivalent of a # 10 or # 8.

Without removing a screw to ensure that the threads are factory built or starting with a roof without rack, I cannot be sure. But it seems to me to be a slam dunk to install it yourself. Also, if the bolts holes are part of the factory process, then after market racks will be taylored to attach at the same points.

Toyota roof rack is well made in my estimation and only those desiring a rack with larger surface coverage will need to purchase after market racks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
I say buy it at a discount, install it yourself and save some $$$. Do your part to put an end to this overpriced dealer/port installed nonsense. I can't see how a roof rack you install yourself could affect a warranty? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to take it "as is". If I have to go back to the dealer and let them do it at a later date I can do that.

Stop the nonsense!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have added the roof rack to my shopping cart on TRD two days in a row now. I wish I knew if it was easy to install or not. Has anyone done it yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,172 Posts
Jelopy said:
I say buy it at a discount, install it yourself and save some $$$. Do your part to put an end to this overpriced dealer/port installed nonsense. I can't see how a roof rack you install yourself could affect a warranty? :confused:
Self-installed items have a 1 year warranty, Dealer installed items have either the one year or the remaining balance of the factory warranty whichever is more.

How the heck is the warranty even going to come into play????

The roof rack is a simple as a stone......what is gonna need warranty repair?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
MichaelB said:
I have added the roof rack to my shopping cart on TRD two days in a row now. I wish I knew if it was easy to install or not. Has anyone done it yet?
The install instructions should be right there on the TRD site. Read them and judge for yourself if it is something you feel comfortable with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Wow, I didn't even see the PDF when I was there. Nice instructions, looks like a simple job. Ordering it on Monday. Thanks for pointing that out.

NJ FJ said:
The install instructions should be right there on the TRD site. Read them and judge for yourself if it is something you feel comfortable with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
My FJ came with the roof rack and I think it really adds to the overall ruggage look of the vehicle. I do hear some wind noise from the roof rack when its really windy on on the highway. Its not objectionable, but you know its from the roof rack. For what its worth. Great ride!

Dave
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top