Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past weekend I tried to put my paddle board on the OEM roof rack and was pretty surprised to see that the crossbars are limited due to the changing width of the rack. (I was under the impression that the crossbars could adjust in width so that I could space them further apart on the rack and give my SUP more support).

Rather than purchasing an entire new rack, is there an adjustable crossbar that I could purchase after-market that's expandable so that I could place the crossbars further apart on the OEM rack? The OEM crossbars are spaced too close together and I'm afraid that my 12' SUP isn't supported enough on each end when I'm driving. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are adjustable. There is a small screw on the underside of the bar in a oblong hole. Loosen the screw and you can adjust the width.
Good to know. I found another thread on here from some time back stating that they could only be moved about 6'' in either direction. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The newer style crossbar (not sure when they started using them, but at least the last 2 model years) have more length adjustability and a much stronger aluminum extrusion. It can be moved all the way to the front of the rack.

If you have the old style, 2 are longer than the others. If the long one won't go far enough forward, it can be modified fairly easily. I know there is a thread about it...

·
Registered
98 Posts
So this past weekend I tried to put my paddle board on the OEM roof rack and was pretty surprised to see that the crossbars are limited due to the changing width of the rack. (I was under the impression that the crossbars could adjust in width so that I could space them further apart on the rack and give my SUP more support).

Rather than purchasing an entire new rack, is there an adjustable crossbar that I could purchase after-market that's expandable so that I could place the crossbars further apart on the OEM rack? The OEM crossbars are spaced too close together and I'm afraid that my 12' SUP isn't supported enough on each end when I'm driving. Any help would be appreciated.
I installed a heavy load-rated bar made from aluminum billets for the ends. This was from Pirate Manufacturing, but I'm not sure if they still make them - their web site has the part listed as out of stock.

You can find it here: Pirate 2007-14 Toyota FJ Cruiser Black Billet Roof Rack Support Bar Black

I had installed one on my 2010 so I could bring home lumber - I wouldn't trust the Toyota bar for any significant load. The 2010 OEM bars are the ones that will not fit at the front, not long enough. As I suspected, I also had to install an air dam, either that or install and remove the bar every time I wanted to use it.

On my 2014 the OEM bars will fit at the front, but are still not load rated. I installed another Pirate Mfg. bar just behind the air dam. The air dam is about a 1/4" higher than the bar but will bend down slightly with any weight on it.

If you can get the Pirate bar, it's designed to fit in the two front top holes of the rack that have plastic plugs in them - the ones used to install the air dam. It comes with a couple of 1/4" bolt nutserts and an installation tool.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked online and can't seem to find them anymore. Bummer. Did you purchase 1 or 2 of them? I would think just one is needed to install at the front of the rack because the standard crossbars fit along the back of the rack.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I checked online and can't seem to find them anymore. Bummer. Did you purchase 1 or 2 of them? I would think just one is needed to install at the front of the rack because the standard crossbars fit along the back of the rack.
Exactly, only one is needed. You may want to give Pirate Mfg. a call. Sometimes people do have stock but don't update their web site. I don't know of any other option for the OEM roof rack.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I made a front crossbar using 1-1/4" Sch 40 aluminum pipe and clamp-on aluminum Speed-Rail tees: McMaster-Carr. Primed and painted with Duplicolor bed liner. The 1-1/4" pipe tees needed to be filed a bit to slip over the 1-3/4" FJ rack rails, but not a huge deal, it's aluminum. I replaced the setscrews on the tees with SS bolts and drilled through the pipe.

Reactions: Deathstalker74

·
Registered
488 Posts
I made a front crossbar using 1-1/4" Sch 40 aluminum pipe and clamp-on aluminum Speed-Rail tees: McMaster-Carr. Primed and painted with Duplicolor bed liner. The 1-1/4" pipe tees needed to be filed a bit to slip over the 1-3/4" FJ rack rails, but not a huge deal, it's aluminum. I replaced the setscrews on the tees with SS bolts and drilled through the pipe.

Pics?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
279 Posts
I moved the bottom middle one to the top, as far forward as possible. It's only about 6" back from the bend down. I then moved the top forward one to the bottom middle position. I had to adjust the length of both (torx screws). They are both fully extended.

The stock rack is rather useless, like most stock racks (previous 4Runner and Pathfinder were the same). You need something to protect the paint if you are going to carry something like lumber etc. I use "pipe insulation". It's available in ethafoam for domestic water pipes and foam rubber for air conditioning systems. The ethafoam is a little more durable. I tape it in place with electrical tape.

All this when I wanted to get some eavestrough. It's in 10' lengths, and I found it -almost- fits inside, front on the dash, rear just sticking out the rear door window about 3". I used towels to protect the dash and rear door. No flags needed!

·
Registered
353 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
^^Thanks man! I am doing a 2 week road trip in November and instead of taking my off-road trailer, I'm going to throw the RTT back up on the FJ. I had it up there a couple of years ago and I wasn't thrilled about it being on the stock crossbars but it worked for a couple of months until I built the trailer. This looks like a perfect solution!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today, while taking some parking lot pics of someone else's FJ, I noticed that they had Yakima bars attached on their OEM rack. This is pretty much what I'm looking for to transport my surf and SUP boards. Anyone recognize the model of this rack? Would love any info on it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts