Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the bottom (lower) row of crossbars will also fit across the top? I want to put my storage box up, but was thinking the lower crossbars can't move up, because the rack is wider on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
The width of the bar can be adjusted, never tried but you can switch them around in a few minutes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
They are interchangable. There are 2 lengths of bars, the difference is fore & aft, not top or bottom. It is also easy to break the clamp ends. I would suggest buying or making bars that are all alluminum even the ends or Thule/Yakima bars & ends if you are going to carry any amount of heavy items in the box. I had 2 50lb kayaks on my factory rack. each one clamped to 2 different sets of bars & I had one of the ends break. Luckily the kayak holder fell onto the top bar & kept it from contacting my roof sheetmetal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
They are interchangable. There are 2 lengths of bars, the difference is fore & aft, not top or bottom. It is also easy to break the clamp ends. I would suggest buying or making bars that are all alluminum even the ends or Thule/Yakima bars & ends if you are going to carry any amount of heavy items in the box. I had 2 50lb kayaks on my factory rack. each one clamped to 2 different sets of bars & I had one of the ends break. Luckily the kayak holder fell onto the top bar & kept it from contacting my roof sheetmetal.
Thank you for answering my question before I even asked it! Not sure now what I would use the rack for!
Bonehead

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Considering the cost of the aftermarket racks I was wondering why people were upgrading. I suspected it had something to do with this. Bummer.

EDIT: Upon a second look around I guess some of the aftermarket racks aren't that expensive. I was going off of the price I saw for a Gobi rack.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
.... Then theres the option inbetween oem and aftermarket racks. Drop in inserts. 1/2 - 2/3 the price of aftermarket and much improved functionality over oem. All depends on your intended needs if that route would work for you.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
.... Then theres the option inbetween oem and aftermarket racks. Drop in inserts. 1/2 - 2/3 the price of aftermarket and much improved functionality over oem. All depends on your intended needs if that route would work for you.
I was just looking at those. I don't need to crawl around on them and so I don't need too much weight up there. They might just work.

Can you tell me about the light bar and lights you have on the front? They look pretty awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Can you tell me about the light bar and lights you have on the front? They look pretty awesome.
Not trying to go off topic of the OP's post... but you can check out my build thread and do a search for "rigid light bar" for more info.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Not trying to go off topic of the OP's post... but you can check out my build thread and do a search for "rigid light bar" for more info.
Thanks and my apologies to the OP for the hijack!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this problem today the roof rack is actually really cool!! If you look on the bottom left of your crossbars they can slide shorter and wider to fit anywhere on the entire roof rack. Freaking Bad ASS All you need is a star screw and you can adjust. Remember there are 2 short and 2 long ones. message me if you have any questions.. You can use as a basket for bikes, snow boards or anything... The only that sucks about the rack is the factory instructions

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
I had this problem today the roof rack is actually really cool!! If you look on the bottom left of your crossbars they can slide shorter and wider to fit anywhere on the entire roof rack. Freaking Bad ASS All you need is a star screw and you can adjust. Remember there are 2 short and 2 long ones. message me if you have any questions.. You can use as a basket for bikes, snow boards or anything... The only that sucks about the rack is the factory instructions
I have never heard or noticed this before... I sold some extra cross bars because I couldn't get mine to fit towards the front :lol: don't the bikes scratch the roof where the bars don't cover?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I broke the upper crossbar on mine can you buy replacements? If you know where please let me know. [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts