Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20161017:

In all of my going on ten years of owning an FJ I have never seen a need for the roof rack. I'm not saying that they're not useful, just that I don't have an application for it. I ordered my '07 Sun Fusion without a roof rack, but my '14 came with one willy nilly. So the thought was in my mind to remove it.

I ordered the delete kit from Beach Toyota on eBay, and they were so helpful as to mention that they could get the kit in my color. So I told them to go for it. Come time to do the job I puzzled about how to lift the damn thing off without scratching up the roof, but I found a way to do it:

I installed two eye hooks, four feet apart, into the ceiling joists of my shop just beyond the raised overhead door, and backed the FJ into the shop. Ratchet ties were wrapped around both sides of the rack front and rear, and hooked to the eye hooks in back, and the door's spring bar in front.

Each bolt was loosened six quarter turns alternating until handy. Tension was taken up on the ratchet ties until the rack was suspended slightly above the roof and the bolts were removed. The ratchet ties were tightened until the rack was a good six inches above the roof and I drove the FJ out from under it.

The rack bolts were rather tight at first, and it took several turns of the bolt before they loosened significantly. I alternated unscrewing the bolts on each mount point because the friction generates heat, and can cause the bolt to sieze in extreme situations. I had heard horror stories about the screws stripping and breaking, and the screw plate under the headliner spinning, but by loosening the bolts in stages I was able to insure that the screw plate did not become dislocated.

Each screw hole had a PE or nylon bushing in it, and the replacement bolts tightened onto them nicely with no indications that the joint would leak. Putting the covers on was a matter of identifying which direction in which to install them (they are not symmetrical). Hint: The arrow on the plate points away from the centerline, and the plastic part of the keeper goes on first.

It took about an hour to remove the rack, and fifteen minutes to install the replacement bolts and covers.

The hole where the rack is mounted.

The replacement bolts and cover have been installed.

Part number for the bolts.

Part number for the Heritage Blue covers.

Name and address of Beach Toyota. I am not affiliated with them, just pleased by their service.

A nifty graphic with the FJ Cruiser paint codes and years in case you wish to order something.

All in all I'm pleased with the job, and the next time I visit my cousin in Fayetteville I will be able to get my FJ in her garage!

Charlie

·
Registered
171 Posts
I, too, have a 2014 FJ TTUE. I have not seen one without the rack attached (have seen them from other years). Can you take a couple pics of your FJ from the side and front so I can see what it looks like? Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
X's 2. Pics please

·
Registered
30 Posts
20161017:

In all of my going on ten years of owning an FJ I have never seen a need for the roof rack. I'm not saying that they're not useful, just that I don't have an application for it. I ordered my '07 Sun Fusion without a roof rack, but my '14 came with one willy nilly. So the thought was in my mind to remove it.

I ordered the delete kit from Beach Toyota on eBay, and they were so helpful as to mention that they could get the kit in my color. So I told them to go for it. Come time to do the job I puzzled about how to lift the damn thing off without scratching up the roof, but I found a way to do it:

I installed two eye hooks, four feet apart, into the ceiling joists of my shop just beyond the raised overhead door, and backed the FJ into the shop. Ratchet ties were wrapped around both sides of the rack front and rear, and hooked to the eye hooks in back, and the door's spring bar in front.

Each bolt was loosened six quarter turns alternating until handy. Tension was taken up on the ratchet ties until the rack was suspended slightly above the roof and the bolts were removed. The ratchet ties were tightened until the rack was a good six inches above the roof and I drove the FJ out from under it.

The rack bolts were rather tight at first, and it took several turns of the bolt before they loosened significantly. I alternated unscrewing the bolts on each mount point because the friction generates heat, and can cause the bolt to sieze in extreme situations. I had heard horror stories about the screws stripping and breaking, and the screw plate under the headliner spinning, but by loosening the bolts in stages I was able to insure that the screw plate did not become dislocated.

Each screw hole had a PE or nylon bushing in it, and the replacement bolts tightened onto them nicely with no indications that the joint would leak. Putting the covers on was a matter of identifying which direction in which to install them (they are not symmetrical). Hint: The arrow on the plate points away from the centerline, and the plastic part of the keeper goes on first.

It took about an hour to remove the rack, and fifteen minutes to install the replacement bolts and covers.

The hole where the rack is mounted.

The replacement bolts and cover have been installed.

Part number for the bolts.

Part number for the Heritage Blue covers.

Name and address of Beach Toyota. I am not affiliated with them, just pleased by their service.

A nifty graphic with the FJ Cruiser paint codes and years in case you wish to order something.

All in all I'm pleased with the job, and the next time I visit my cousin in Fayetteville I will be able to get my FJ in her garage!

Charlie
This kit comes with delete brackets also. Are they necessary? https://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=-9591
https://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=-9932

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Depending on the year of your truck, it may be worth the extra $15. I just fixed a leak I had in my '07's headliner coming from the 2 front feet of the rack, on the passenger side of my truck. Even though the brackets were there (under the rack feet), they have little foam/rubber pads on the bottom that were well beyond rotted away. There are more than a couple threads here about leaking roofs so the extra $15 for a new set with fresh pads was an easy call for me. I figured might as well replace all the hardware and add some sealant around the plastic bolt sleeves and around the bolt heads, just to be sure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I, too, have a 2014 FJ TTUE. I have not seen one without the rack attached (have seen them from other years). Can you take a couple pics of your FJ from the side and front so I can see what it looks like? Thanks!
Sure! Here 'ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Looks funny without...

I bought a kit for my 2010 TTSE but have not gotten around to doing it yet.

I get off on hyper mile driving and I figured next road trip I would see how much better it would be without the wind resistance.

Cruise control set on 63 seems to be the sweet spot, I got close to an extra 200 miles out of a tank of regular and calculated I think I probably could have gone to 450 miles before stalling out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought the roof rack delete kit from dallas as well, in my 6V7 army green color for my 2011 NSSE. It had the delete brackets as well, which appeared to be missing from my truck when I removed the aftermarket Baja low profile flat rack, that was installed by complete retards. I ended up having the roof repainted between the drip rails (missing, yay, replaced) because said retards bolted metal to metal and chipped the paint leading to some corrosion. A fellow forum cat camdz bought the rack from me and he loves it. I thought it sounded like my truck was trying to take off at speeds greater than 45 mph. MUCH quieter from the roof now.

I very carefully loosened all of my bolts to finger loose because I was told how fragile the spot welded nuts can be, also the thin white plastic bushings. I had a buddy stand on the other side of the truck and we lifted the 65lb baja rack up and off, easy. I could see how doing it solo could be MUCH more challenging, so interesting engineering solution there, I can appreciate that.

I personally like the rackless look, its smooth and clean, less stuff hanging off the truck, which I like. Props to you for doing that to an Ultimate Edition and running the stock steelies, which are so choice. I love mine. *on further inspection I don't see any TT badges, but its the right color/year/grill for the TTUE.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
FJ looks a lot more rugged with the rack on.....Not so much bald :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*on further inspection I don't see any TT badges, but its the right color/year/grill for the TTUE.
Some scum sucking annelid pried the TTUE badge off the back door and scratched the paint, so my son put the Autobot magnet on the door to hide the wound. I have an appointment with the body shop to get it fixed.

Charlie (is pissed about that!)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i like the FJ without the roof rack too, a lot better on the highway and i can get it in my garage, my Black Cherry without the roof rack
That truck looks outstanding! It is far and away the best looking black cherry FJ I have seen. Who made the fender flares?

Charlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice work Charlie. Do you have plans for the rack? I have a line on a 2011 NSSE with no rack, so I'll be in the market for one.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
What are you guys ? A bunch of street toolers.
I carry my Kayak and spend my spare time wheeling to campsite ,streams, rivers and mountains.
If I had no use for a rack, I'd have bought a Jeep !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts