Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am getting a roof rack. I think I've narrowed it down to a choice between Warrior and FrontRunner. Both are similar style, both seem well-built. Front Runner seems to cost a little more but I'm not too worried about that - I want to make the right choice.

Any thoughts, experience with either one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Re: Roof Rack: FrontRunner or Warrrior?

I have liked my warrior rack. Its been on now for around 4 years and I haven't had any issues. The front runner is modular but if you have any fab abilities it doesn't take much to add and remove mounts to the warrior one either.

The mounts I use are just flat bar that I clamps the component to the roof rack. Easy to put on and take off.

If your willing to drill at all you can easily put a lightbar under the rack and above the roof of your FJ too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Is there an air deflector for the Front Runner? Does it make noise?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

Alum vs. Steel is why the Front Runner rack is more expensive. Looks to sit higher than Warrior. Not convinced there is a wind fairing for the Front Runner. I see someone fashioned one out of the Prinsu Designs front fairing for use on their Front Runner over at TW forums.

Either way you go, keep your eyes peeled for Group Buys on Tacoma World or Toyota-4Runner.org. Most of the group buys I have gotten in on have been on those forums as they allow their members to put them together. I just simply ask if the FJ guys can participate. 9 times out of 10 they say yes.

I think there was a Front Runner Group Buy in Summer 2016...think there may have been another in Summer 2017. Not sure about Warrior.

Yep found it. There was a FR group buy last summer here:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/closed-front-runner-racks-2-0-group-buy.497817/

15% off and free shipping at the time.

full disclosure: I have a Prinsu rack on FJ

·
Registered
467 Posts

I have a FR rack. Few thoughts.

FR does sit slightly higher than the W rack, but still much lower than the OEM rack at it's mid point.

FR does have a wind deflector but it sits back on the underside of the first slat pointed like a arrow backward pushing the air down onto the roof. I took mine off when I mounted my light bar on the front rail, which was real easy since you find the right size bolt head, slide it into the rail and you can slide it left/right as much as you want to center it.

FR sells a ton of extras designed for the modular rack.

I bought mine off Tacoma Wold GB and got it for $900 or so and free shipping.

It takes time to put it together but everything fits perfectly.

It seems slightly short lengthwise in the back, but all you need to do is notify FR and they can extend it with a few extra modular pieces.

Reactions: ZerosFJ

·
Registered
207 Posts
Roof Rack: FrontRunner or Warrrior?

I will like to throw Rhino rack as an another option, which in my opinion is much quieter and versatile like Frontrunner. You can buy Rhino rack for around $900 and much lighter when it comes to weight . Rhino Rack is the longest rack available.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I will like to throw Rhino rack as an another option, which in my opinion is much quieter and versatile like Frontrunner. You can buy Rhino rack for around $900 and much lighter when it comes to weight . Rhino Rack is the longest rack available.

Do you have a link for where you bought it for around $900? Considering this rack but any place I found was $1000+ Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts

I have the FrontRunner rack on my truck. It's very strong/well made. The accessories available are second to none.

The only pictures I have at the moment are in my garage photo's.

Great roof rack but I'm sure some of the others are as equally good.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for posting that link to ok4wd! Out of curiosity did you mount your rack yourself? If you did It yourself would you say it was pretty easy?

Thanks.

Yes, I mounted the rack myself. It’s fairly straight forward. However some of the steps in instruction manual are little confusing, but nothing like a show stopper. Feel free to call me and I can give you some life saver tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts