Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done reading the sticky on off road lights and had a few additional questions.

It says to not run fog "yellow" lights on the rook rack. Is anyone doing this? In real world, what are the pro's and cons.

I want a pretty versitile set up. I was thinking about running the PIAA 525 duel lamps as the outside set of roof rack mounted lights and PIAA 520 ATP white lights on the inside. This would give me the option to run fog lights on top if needed, but have 4 white lights for general use.

The 525's are a bit more expensize, so am I just wasting money or is there any value to a set up like this.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
214 Posts
The reason to not run yellow lights on the roof rack is that they are used almost exclusively for fog. You want to mount any sort of fog light as low as possible so that the light isn't reflected into your eyes. A fog light on the roof would probably do more to blind you than actually help you see. I'd either stick with driving type lights on the roof and separate fogs low, or use the 525s on the bumper.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, thats what I thought about the fog lights. Thanks! Maybe the 525 will go on the bumper in the future.

bwilford, I heard that floods are even worse to put on the roof. If I am not mistakes, floods have a very short throw and and wide spread, so you will get a lot of glare on your hood. I think mose people use floods as "rock lights" very low around the truck.

Thanks guys! Saved me some $$$

John

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
With my 3.5" lift There is no way I could lights on the rack its got about 3/4 inch clearance as it is. Just something to think about in the future. Fog lights on the roof would give you a lot of engine hood glare which sucks to drive with. I always use pencil beam lights when the lights are above the hood
________
Class action lawfirm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts