1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A-Team Moderator
10,276 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
86 Posts
Depends what you typically put on the roof. I decided to scrap the OEM rack because it didnt work for my everyday use - typically hardware store runs for lumber and stuff like that.

I just needed a regular roof rack ... two bars of some sort going across the roof, on which I could throw some boards, poles, etc. And I needed to be able to attach my winter storage ski / snowboard cargo box easily too.

I went with the Rhino Rack Aero RSP 25 a few years ago. It works great for me. I never leave home without a couple of big, yellow, heavy duty cargo straps and I use them to strap stuff down to the racks.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
What is your use case?

I would get the OEM roof rack. It's low cost (sometimes free on this forum) and importantly it's light weight. I have the Baja Rack flat rack and if I were to do it again, I'd keep it simple and look for OEM. My FJ also didn't come with a roof rack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 on BajaRack. Thought my OEM was useless, full size full mesh BajaRack w 4-5in sides has jack mounts, shovel mounts, gas can rack, a Home Depot $20 tool box mounted. Holds 8ft lumber well, security door up there last week, had waaaay to much firewood (300-400 lbs) once all over Baja, it’s been great. Only maint has been to repaint the front fairing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We replaced the OEM rack with a Prinsu Designs rack.

Easy to install and Very much more functional for actually carrying something. We mounted her. MAXTRAX along with a Tipui RTT.

When the RTT is removed we can mount our canoe up there as well.

CBI Offroad has the Prinsu accessories

Well made

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the FJ roof rack / baskets from Gobi are the best looking. They come with cross bars and most have a mesh-type bottom. They follow the lines of the FJ really nicely, however, they're not flat, which could pose problems if you want to put flat things up there (big storage boxes, etc).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good roof rack?
& where to get it?
Baja Rack, 51” flat utility. Bought it specifically for a Maggiolina roof top tent. Perfect. I leave it on several months a year. I remove the tent and winch it up in my garage when not on the camping road. In this application you will have to do some spot treatment for bits of rust where the powder coating has rubbed off due to flexing and road vibration. No big deal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We replaced the OEM rack with a Prinsu Designs rack.

Easy to install and Very much more functional for actually carrying something. We mounted her. MAXTRAX along with a Tipui RTT.

When the RTT is removed we can mount our canoe up there as well.

CBI Offroad has the Prinsu accessories

Well made

I second Prinsu. Affordable(relatively) Low profile, lightweight, will never rust. I love my gobi but it is very heavy, and i have already scratched it quite a bit through use and There are a few specks of rust anywhere the coating scratches to metal. (I am hard on it, between lumber, putting on and taking off the roof top tent, and off roading in the woods.) I have a Victory rack on my Tacoma and it basically a Prinsu (Victory doesnt make an FJ rack at this time.) The strength to weight ratio is awesome, and the flat deck is very practical for lumber runs. If you want a basket style the gobi is built like a tank and the scratches are me being a little rough with it, if you want flat i would say prinsu.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I third prinsu very clean look and low profile even with a light bar so it’s easy for storage or if you use car washes regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm really enjoying my Baja rack. I purchased one with rails. Tons of attachment points. I sometimes sleep on it when I'm camping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What is your use case?

I would get the OEM roof rack. It's low cost (sometimes free on this forum) and importantly it's light weight. I have the Baja Rack flat rack and if I were to do it again, I'd keep it simple and look for OEM. My FJ also didn't come with a roof rack.
I Agree with OEM. The HD Ricochet steel fairing bolts right up to it and looks awesome and I have designed a double kayak rack to easily transport 2 -14" wooden sea kayaks at one time. Can easily add jack and shovel rack if desired. It does not rust and it does not leak. I've heard the same thing about the baja racks. OEM has worked for 6 years. Still looks like new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts