Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else notice the noise from the roof rack in crosswinds? I thought at first that there was something loose and rattling under the truck but am almost sure it is wind noise.

It isn't unbearable, or even noticable if the radio is on but I didn't want the roof rack in the first place, I simply have no use for it, & I will be selling it for sure now.

Anybody have any idea where I could get the plastic covers for the roof holes?

Anybody want to buy it and send me their covers?

·
Registered
476 Posts
my dealer gave me the covers. they were in my glove box. i'm sure they still have them if you ask. i haven't noticed a bad noise, even on the highway. i'm actually really impressed with the wind noise. I can't believe it, but the FJ mag says it has the same coefficient of drag as the 4runner.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I noticed some roof rack noise on my test drive. The guys at TLC said that the air dam that will be available this summer from your dealer will cure the problem. Once they installed the air dam on their proto the noice went away.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Geo said:
Anybody else notice the noise from the roof rack in crosswinds? I thought at first that there was something loose and rattling under the truck but am almost sure it is wind noise.

It isn't unbearable, or even noticable if the radio is on but I didn't want the roof rack in the first place, I simply have no use for it, & I will be selling it for sure now.

Anybody have any idea where I could get the plastic covers for the roof holes?

Anybody want to buy it and send me their covers?
Where are you at Geo?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Where ye been hiding yodaman? Are thay jumping off the lot?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the Roof Rack and the Off Road Lights on the way. It looks like the "wind scoop" that makes up the Off Road Lights' housing should act as a buffer. (You can see what it looks like in the upper right part of the web site....look up....now over to the right... :D )

·
Registered
236 Posts
The one I test drove had a little noise on the rack. I believve it was due to a loose crossbar. I saw a salesguy messing with it when it was my turn to test drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the noise. I hadn't pinpointed it yet, but my suspicion was wind noise through the roof rack. I will most likely be getting the off road lights and hopefully that will alleviate the noise. It is somewhat annoying.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe I didn't notice it in my test drives since I'm used to having a Yak Rack with some accessories on my Runner, but it wasn't something that I even noticed. Road noise in the back seat, yep noticed that :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Definitely noticed the noise - it's especially prevalent in a cross wind. Like the original poster mentioned - noticeable but something you won't even hear with the stereo on.

Not entirely sure the wind deflector will help - be interested to see.

·
Registered
206 Posts
rjp said:
Definitely noticed the noise - it's especially prevalent in a cross wind. Like the original poster mentioned - noticeable but something you won't even hear with the stereo on.

Not entirely sure the wind deflector will help - be interested to see.
Actually dawns on me now that the one I took on the hwy didn't have the rack - it was the sought after base, stripped FJ that everyone wants and a local dealer still hasn't sold. Well, maybe stripped auto isn't what everyone wants?

·
Banned
133 Posts
billthomson said:
Actually dawns on me now that the one I took on the hwy didn't have the rack - it was the sought after base, stripped FJ that everyone wants and a local dealer still hasn't sold. Well, maybe stripped auto isn't what everyone wants?
It's certainly the one I want!

Canada, eh? If only I hadn't been strip searched the last time I went through the airport there...:eek: I got yer 'Welcome to Canada' hangin', baby!

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It does make a bit of noise in a crosswind, noticed it too this weekend since it was pretty dern windy here. I did drive the FJ around a lot this weekend and when the radio was on I didn't notice it although the first time I heard the wind it did startle me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
meat said:

Canada, eh? If only I hadn't been strip searched the last time I went through the airport there
Yeah, and the purchase agreement I signed says "vehicle not for export" in big letters. Plus by the time you took the reaming they give you to buy here (base is around $2K more), plus pay the taxes youd be better off buying at home with some options. But hey, a black auto, base sitting right here - and the road trip home would be epic!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
billthomson said:
meat said:

Canada, eh? If only I hadn't been strip searched the last time I went through the airport there...:eek: I got yer 'Welcome to Canada' hangin', baby!

Your pal,
Meat.
But Meat, you don't really want stripped - you want the Skid Plate, right?

·
Banned
133 Posts
billthomson said:
Yeah, and the purchase agreement I signed says "vehicle not for export" in big letters. Plus by the time you took the reaming they give you to buy here (base is around $2K more), plus pay the taxes youd be better off buying at home with some options.
I dunno...If I borrow my friend's bag and don't check it for ... err ... 'cigarette smoking paraphernalia' before I go through customs up there, I may get to the dealership pre-reamed.
billthomson said:
But hey, a black auto, base sitting right here - and the road trip home would be epic!!!
The more I see the black the more I like it. The trip would be epic! Done it before with a repo'd Jaguar, and would LOVE to have a more leisurely trip back down through the states!

Your pal,
Meat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts