Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have an oem rack and built just some simple cross bars to haul kayaks. when I put them on there was terrible wind noise. do the aftermarket racks do the same thing? I did this for a cherokee I had with no problems. hope it was just my design.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I don't have an oem rack and built just some simple cross bars to haul kayaks. when I put them on there was terrible wind noise. do the aftermarket racks do the same thing? I did this for a cherokee I had with no problems. hope it was just my design.
Most people that have just put two crossbars up there have gotten a terrible wind noise from it. Your best solution is to install a fairing across the front (looks like a black,slanted rectangle that goes in front of the first bar.) This should solve your wind noise problemo.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Kayak,
I bought a full-length ARB roof rack and at about 40mph - a low hum developed. I bought the plastic front spoiler they sell and problem solved. Anything to spill the air around the bars should do as layonn suggests.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I went from rackless to an OEM rack. I have some wind noise, but it is NOT deafening in the least. I simply turn up the stereo one notch and it's covered. I'm just glad I have the rack now (Thanks Dominic!!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts