Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for 20 minutes and am not finding the "how to not drop your rack nuts into the headliner" I know it is an issue, and this is one issue I want to avoid. I have had the headliner out once and that was enough.

I am pulling up my front feet of my roof rack (I pulled up just one a tiny bit to take off my demello light bar for tweaking)

I just want to seal up right under the bracket with some butyl rubber since I have disrupted it a little by moving it.

I do not want to deal with my headliner at all so can someone explain or point to me how to not drop the mounting bolts into the headliner space. Tips and tricks. I just want to reinforce my seal and move on. Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
I removed the rack and reinstalled it after running some wires through it, I don't remember having to worry about the nut falling into the headliner. I thought the nut just stayed in place. I might be wrong though.
Les

·
Registered
31 Posts
no problem with nuts falling off for me. i took the whole thing off and wired my lights on the garage floor rather than crawling around on a ladder. Not one single nut fell through....all my screws tighten back up just fine....

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Those nuts are on a housing that keeps them snapped into the roof . If they bracket isn't holding them anymore you need to get new ones and snapo them back up there. The big problem with removing the roof rack is if you push to hard trying to seat the bolt into the roof. You need to do this with care, or you will pop the bracket loose and the nuts can just fall (like they are now) You will need to at least lower that section of the roof, to access that area.

·
Registered
145 Posts
From what I understand, the bracket that is on the other side of the roof, between the headliner and the interior roof is held there by a spot weld. You're supposed to loosen both bolts before removing either, so that you don't accidentally move the bracket and break the weld point. I did this when removing my roof rack and didn't have any issues. Just loosen one about halfway, then loosen the other, then just go back and forth til both are out.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys....Just waiting on my rubber grommets for the holes in the light bar :)

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know if this would help but it's a pdf on how to install a roof rack.
Hey thanks, I appreciate it....

I actually have that and was just looking at it. I was converting the proper torque on the torx bolts into foot pounds.

It appears (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG GUYS AND GALS) that it will be just a tad over 13 ft lbs of torque.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Steve... have to admit I am glad you are going through some of this first. This way when I get ready to do mine... I will have someone close by when I need help. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve... have to admit I am glad you are going through some of this first. This way when I get ready to do mine... I will have someone close by when I need help. :cheers:
No problem, Im anal, I sweat everything(hence sealing roof rack and torque specs). I usually have a good idea of what I am doing but I still ask stupid questions more often than not just to be sure:lol:

I will def help you out. I am on my quest to hide wires( I shoulda built a wire box or channel and bolted it to the backside of the light bar but oh well)

Butyl rubber is amazing, I find uses for it all the time, thats what I will use to seal it up(it may not need it but I wanna be sure) I have like a 30 foot rope of the butyl rubber. You may need some, so Ill keep it on standby.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
What I did (after having dropped it TWICE) is to tape the nut and bracket against the interior of the roof. If it does fall again, at least I don't have to fish for it. I was careful both time but it still fell:(.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts