Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a factory roof rack, so here are a few quick questions from you gurus.

1. does my FJ have the bolts that needs to bolt the roof rack in? i'm assuming there are bolts under the white covers.
2. what do i need to do to ensure no water leaks when i install the roof rack?

thank you

·
Registered
122 Posts
There will be two bolts under each cap, these are not long enough for the factory roof rack. If you purchase the roof rack from someone, I'm sure they'll gladly give you the ones they have in exchange for the one you have to fill the hole. If not, the hardware kit for the factory roof rack is available at the part department for somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-something dollars and includes 12 long bolts and some stick-on washers.

I bought my roofrack from someone on this board and haven't had any issues with rain getting in for over a year.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I also am trying to finalize my roof rack. When I checked under one of the white covers I found an odd bracket that the white cover slides/snaps into and two bolts. The odd bracket may for the factory rack and is held in place by the two bolts. The bolts are M8x1.25. Buy an M8 bolt in the length you need for the rack you purchase. Silicone and nylon washers will never be a bad thing when trying to keep weather out.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Those "odd brackets" are what hold the nuts on from the top side. Otherwise, when you pull the bolts out, the nuts would fall onto the headliner from the inside. do not remove these little brackets!! Leave 'em on when you put the rack on, too. In other words, lust don't touch them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If any of you guys get a rack and have left over white caps and bolts then I'd like to buy them from you. I have to remove my rack so I can fit in the garage, but I don't have the pieces to put in the place of the rack.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Am I correct that the '08's do not come with the roof rack installed at the factory/port? That it's just a dealer-installed item now?

Only wondering since I recall reading here that you should have it factory/port installed in order to avoid any leakage issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If any of you guys get a rack and have left over white caps and bolts then I'd like to buy them from you. I have to remove my rack so I can fit in the garage, but I don't have the pieces to put in the place of the rack.
Do you have a TT Special Edition FJ? Is the white on top of most FJ's the same color as the white of the TT FJ? Not sure what size the bolts are or how you'd buy them at the dealer, but I think the 6 white caps cost around $35.

I've got black caps. I wonder if they cost more.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Some come from the factory and some get put at the stealership!:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts