Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out one bolt from each rung, the tapered bolt, and added a washer to each. The rattle (that drives me nuts) is now gone. Anybody else have this problem and fix it? Is there a better fix?

Attilla

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I had a similar issue and was able to move the bar back some so it would tighten down. The rack seems to flare out as it gets closer to the front (narrower in the rear) and each cross piece is meant for that specific location. If I am correct, you should be a able to slide the bar back some (an inch or two) and it will tighten down correctly. Give it a try, it worked in my case.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I concur, it's the top bar that's making most of the noise and I removed it completely from my rack. When I have some time and deicide I need to stick back on I'll use the washer route like Attilla suggested.

I was a bit surprised that the factory didn't do a better job at securing it with nylon washers or some form of rubber, etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
there is a fair bit of play where the aluminum bar goes into the plastic end pieces-thats caused some rattle for some of us

a couple of chunks of rubber or someone else mentioned electrical tape, wrapped around the end of the aluminum bar will tighten up the fit of the bar to the plastic clamp- & you cant see the fix when the plastic clamps go back on- mine are all real tight fit now & no rattle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The service dept. manager at my dealer told me toyota is aware of this issue w/ the loose crossbars, and will come out w/ a fix...soon?

I didn't want to wait so...

What I did was get some little round felt stickers from home depot...cut the felt circle in 1/2 and put it between the bar and the fitting for the bar...on each side. This took care of the rattle for me. Problem seems to be solved.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
is this the rattle that sounds more like a giant piece of sheet metal being "wobbled?" I don't know if that makes sense, but if you heard the noise that I do, it would.....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
is this the rattle that sounds more like a giant piece of sheet metal being "wobbled?" I don't know if that makes sense, but if you heard the noise that I do, it would.....
I can't recall the exact sound it was making, but it was an odd sound, not something I would had attributed to the roof rack. Take off the top bar and make sure the other bars are tight. See if it makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
mine literally sounds like........if you took a large piece of sheetmetal like you'd get at Home Depot or something........and flexed or wobbled it. wouldn't begin to know how to describe the sound.......

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:

Yeh Bos, I think that be it. Mine is now nice & quiet...albeit with cross winds you hear...well, wind through the rack.

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,837 Posts
Dirtnation said:
I concur, it's the top bar that's making most of the noise and I removed it completely from my rack. When I have some time and deicide I need to stick back on I'll use the washer route like Attilla suggested.

I was a bit surprised that the factory didn't do a better job at securing it with nylon washers or some form of rubber, etc.
That's because it (roof rack) wasn't assembled by Japanese...It was assembled at the port by Americans...Thank God the FJ didn't come fully assembled from Kentucky!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts