Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have the OEM rack... How much weight can it hold and what are the biggest flaws with it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
IIRC the weight limit is 165 lbs evenly distributed. It's in the OM and I think it's also printed somewhere on the cross bars. I think my biggest complaint is that the cross bars are not all at the same level and they aren't interchangeable. It also lacks a much needed far forward cross bar. The rack tubing itself is very thin and I have some concerns about bending it when strapping things down, but so far that has not proved to be a problem. Generally, there are two schools. You either like it or your don't. I like the looks of it and I do use it quite a bit. Could it be better? Yes. Is it worthless? No. There are several after market racks that are more functional. Would I get one again? Yes. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i would really like to get a Gobi but $1200+/- is alot of $$ but you gotta pay to play!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I think my biggest complaint is that the cross bars are not all at the same level and they aren't interchangeable.
The crossbars are interchangeable, you just have to adjust the end of the bars to make them fit properly.

Probably the biggest flaws are the plastic ends of the crossbars, and you can't put as much stuff on top as you would with a full sized racks like the ARBs, Gobi, ect.:simmadown:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I used to say that I love my Jeep... I just wish Toyota made it. Then I got a Toyota... and while 99% of the FJ is great... I think they got Jeep to make the rack. It looks great. It's still one of my favorite looking racks. But some of it just doesn't make sense...
1. Wider at the front - makes it a royal PIA moving the crossbars around
2. Plastic connectors - plastic!
3. Small "finger knobs" for tightening the crossbars - unless you've got wrenchfingers, you'll need pliars to keep them from sliding
4. Those little set screws on the connectors - WTF? They seem like they don't fit, e.g. even tight, the connectors wiggle
5. Multiple length crossbars - Okay, I get it... fronts need to be wider. But why not a constant length bar and more adjustment with the connector?

Anyway, now that sales are slowing even for Toyota, maybe they're reinsource (sure, it's a word) the rack (take it back from Jeep) and fix all the little flaws ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
The crossbars are interchangeable, you just have to adjust the end of the bars to make them fit properly.

Probably the biggest flaws are the plastic ends of the crossbars, and you can't put as much stuff on top as you would with a full sized racks like the ARBs, Gobi, ect.:simmadown:
Yeah, up to a point you can interchange them, but as mentioned below, the rack is not a uniform width from front to back and you can't move any of the cross bars all the way forward which would be desirable for carrying long items. I really do like the looks of the rack, but I cannot understand why Toyota did not design it to be more functional. Seems like it would have been no big deal to do so.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, and multiple lash points would be nice too. It works the way it is yes, but they could have done better. I do like the looks, and I could not envision my FJ without a roof rack, but, well, it has its limits.

·
Registered
572 Posts
See BajaRack Adventure Equipment, in the vendor section or go to 4X4 tech and look at "Roof Rack input" We give forum members $60.00 off. You can also go to BajaRack.com
Cris:bandit:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts