Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ical/90684-tricks-wiring-stock-roof-rack.html

I made a 3/4" hole under the foot of the L front rack. Tip: I left the dirt "footprint" in tack to make my mark to drill. The down tube leaves its own outline under which you want to make your mark:

Use on 8 or 10ga. wire and bring all the grounds to it. I have 8 lights, 8 ground wires. Soldered them on the 10ga and stuffed into rack. That took me from 16 wires to 9 (8+, 1-):

Tip: Use fish tape like the other member suggested to get to the back of the rack. Drill 1/2" hole for rear lights and pull backwards from front to rear; same for the side. Start with the fartherest side first. If you have an aftermarket rack or insert, you may have other issues depending on construction. I have the stock rack with a WAAG insert. Make a hole in the plastic foot and pull your wires:

Rear of rack with exit hole, wire, and grommet:

I tied off the bundle real well when pulling through roof and down a-pillar:

I grounded to the frame (through the firewall) and wired the relays along the left fender (driver's side) where there are pre-existing threaded holes. Used a series of switches on the silver pannel under the air vent driver's side to finish it off.

Running two PIAA 520 ATPs; two KC spot lights; two PIAA 580 driving lights and four (2 side, 2 rear) Hella FF75s as work lights. I will likey change out the Hellas for more traditional work lights (read:floods).

I hope that helps, good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.