Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50 miles in, and considering removing roof rack. Adjusted several ways, but the interior noise from is incredible. I never noticed in the other FJ's I test drove, and didn't notice until extended 75 mph trip.

Any suggestions? Do the air foils help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get the same thing. I recently added some canoe racks over the factor rack and BOY does that sing. I was wondering the same about some type of air foil or diverter.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes me wish I had ordered BFG MT instead of AT. Had gone AT for noise, more than anything. Maybe it would have been louder than the roof rack howling.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
As far as removing it goes, it's real simple with the right sized torx bit and a ratchet w/ extension. There was a thread started a few weeks ago that had the part number for the blank off pieces that go over the holes you will uncover (six in all). I'll see if I can track that down...

As far as noise goes, i never found much difference between w/ and w/o the rack. The fact of the matter is the FJ is an aerodynamic abomination and simply makes a bit of noise. I added an airdam (airfoil mentioned above) by AllPro and found that just compouded the noise, but gave me a place for lights.

FOUND IT. Check this out from TRDSource, one of our forum sponsors:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...il-covers-when-you-remove-your-roof-rack.html

·
Registered
310 Posts
I removed the factory roof rack after bashing it on the garage door and busting 2 rear supports, after a stupid mistake with ramps and a floor jack.:ack: No noticable change in wind noise with it removed. And yes, the blanks and long bolts kit was easy to put on. In theory it helps MPG with it removed, but I can't see any substantial effect. I am looking into Dynamat for the roof and doors to make it more Lexus-like inside. Several posts from music lovers on this site demonstrate how to install the stuff and I'm thinking it will be a worthwhile project for a weekend this summer.:wave:

·
Registered
477 Posts
As Apexbasher said: "As far as noise goes, i never found much difference between w/ and w/o the rack. The fact of the matter is the FJ is an aerodynamic abomination and simply makes a bit of noise." Our 2007 did and the 2011 does. With both vehicles there was/is wind noise on the Interstate and some slight droning noise that appears to be coming from the rear part of the vehicle(exhaust, etc.). This is part of the 'FJ mystique'. Please don't let it take away from your enjoyment of the FJ. Go with it for awhile. Then, if you still can't stand it, check out some of the sound deadening posts. We had three Wranglers including a Rubicon. The FJ is a Towncar compared to them on the highway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We only noticed a slight change in noise level going from rackless to an ARB. I rarely purchase vehicles that are quiet, the noise makes me feel like I'm part of the road :)

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Partial Solution. Moved the top cross brace ( for lack of proper terminology ) about 3", and it seems to have fixed the issue. It was a howling, not just road noise. Nonetheless, BFG's are already en route, and I'm on board with a weekend Dyna mat install.

Now the exhaust system hadn't been considered, but looking for next.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I had my factory roof rack I would pull one side of each cross brace toward the back and the other side to the front and then tighten the screws real tight. This took care of the wind noise. If your cross bars are loose they vibrate and create a resonance which is very annoying when driving. I had to make an air dam for my ARB 1/2 rack because of the horrible wind noise over 55 MPH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts