Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 FJ new off the lot that did not have the factory roof rack. In an attempt to make the vehicle more expedition capable I would like to add a roof rack to carry nato fuel cans and other essentials that don't fit in the cargo area. I'm torn bewtween the Wilderness Expedition Roof Rack and the ARB Roof Rack.

Looking to get input from those that have either of the roof racks... I'm probably going to go with the short rack from either manufacturer...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a 2008 FJ new off the lot that did not have the factory roof rack. In an attempt to make the vehicle more expedition capable I would like to add a roof rack to carry nato fuel cans and other essentials that don't fit in the cargo area. I'm torn bewtween the Wilderness Expedition Roof Rack and the ARB Roof Rack.

Looking to get input from those that have either of the roof racks... I'm probably going to go with the short rack from either manufacturer...
I had wilderness products on my jeep. Great quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I know you said either Wilderness or ARB BUT I have the new version of Bajarack, the low profile full mesh. It's awesome. I paid $750.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I have the ARB 1/2 rack which is more than enough for what I need. Very sturdy and leak free for almost 4-year now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a baja rack. My only suggestions is get one that has mesh. Just easier to load stuff without the worry of scraping up your roof.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is the Baja Rack a full length roof rack? I can only do a short rack.....

On the rear portion of the roof I have 3 NMO antenna mounts that would interfere with a full length roof rack.... by getting a short rack I would modify it so that it would mount on the forward portion of the roof, or move the rear mounting forward so it won't get in the way of the antennas...

The antennas are mounted about 14 inches from the rear edge of the roof

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I see what you are wanting to do. I've never seen an ARB 1/2 rack mounted toward the front. Maybe someone here has done this. You have some measuring to do I'm sure. I have an ARB 1/2 rack and could measure stuff if need be. You may have to buy a fit kit for the full ARB rack and then modify to fit the 1/2 rack.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see what you are wanting to do. I've never seen an ARB 1/2 rack mounted toward the front. Maybe someone here has done this. You have some measuring to do I'm sure. I have an ARB 1/2 rack and could measure stuff if need be. You may have to buy a fit kit for the full ARB rack and then modify to fit the 1/2 rack.
If I do the ARB rack I would still mount it on the rear section of the roof, but would just adjust mounting the basket forward on the brackets, just enought to clear the roof antennas... if that is possible

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The distance of the (red) FireStik antenna to the edge of the roof rack is about 15".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts