Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you mount a RTT with the factory rack? I want to pick up both the rtt and the factory roof rack light bar. I'm just concerned the factory rack won't take the RTT well. Any experience, opinions or pictures?

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Yes you can, I did for two years before switching over last spring to the BajaRack MG rack for my Maggiolina.

IMO the tent sits to high on the stock rack, and it lets to much wind underneath to make it stable on the highway.

It sits several inches lower on the new rack.

The factory rack can take over 600 lb sitting on it when sitting still.
Most racks including aftermarket ones can take 150 lbs when the vehicle is moving.

My factory rack

The BajaRack model MG

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
What did you use for cross bars? I'm looking at a RTT now but that plus a better rack isn't going to happen.
Kevin, I had Yakima crossbars on there, four of them.
Lots of support.
I think they were the 60" ones.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1448153238.620534.jpg

A bit late for OP but may be use to others... RTT on standard rack with airdam to stop airflow under tent. Works well with little wind noise or noticeable lift.

I needed spacers under front edge of clamps due to the curved rails. Message for more info or close up pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
425 Posts
I added longer bolts, but everything works great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had a CVT RTT living on my stock rack for two years now with no problems.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Can you mount a RTT with the factory rack? I want to pick up both the rtt and the factory roof rack light bar. I'm just concerned the factory rack won't take the RTT well. Any experience, opinions or pictures?

Short answer, absolutely. Plenty of people have done it, and I did it yesterday. I used a couple of Thule crossbars I had in the garage and it mounted up there just fine. Drove around for about 45 minutes and there was no movement and it was plenty sturdy with two of us up there checking it out.

With that said, my Baja Rack is on the way. After speaking with them I ordered the flat rack with the tent mounts. While the stock rack can probably handle it, I plan to drive the truck from Florida to Colorado in a couple months and I'll be living in this thing for a few weeks. I'd rather have a more solid foundation for the tent, and lower it a few inches.

Here are a few pics I snapped today with it up there and set up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes you can, I did for two years before switching over last spring to the BajaRack MG rack for my Maggiolina.

IMO the tent sits to high on the stock rack, and it lets to much wind underneath to make it stable on the highway.

It sits several inches lower on the new rack.

The factory rack can take over 600 lb sitting on it when sitting still.
Most racks including aftermarket ones can take 150 lbs when the vehicle is moving.

My factory rack

The BajaRack model MG

Very nice!

·
Registered
702 Posts
As many have said prior to me, there are a few ways to mount a RTT onto the OEM rack. It was a struggle trying to locate anything prefab. I did look at the route prerunner took but didn't want to add additional height. The way I currently have it is 8'6" and this was the direction I took. I did change out the sockethead screws to buttonhead so they wouldn't interfere with the mounting tracks of the tent. Those blocks can slide and adjust also. I used U bolts to mount it to the rack. I can say it is solid and a very comfy night of sleep up there!

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
The under side, mounted to the racks.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
The rear carries the tools, treds and camp chairs.

Attachments

Reactions: FJou... and butlaxo

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I have a rtt mounted to the stock rack via Yakima crossarms and oem rack mounts. Makes for a tall set up and the factory rake on the rack puts the rtt out of level. I have a Baja expedition rack coming in a week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
You will love the Baja Rack. I have been extremely pleased with my Baja Utility Rack over the past three years.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts