Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have pictures of the Baha Rack installed? We are getting ready to pull out the visa on a Mt Shasta for our FJ but a little worried about the wind and height of mounting on top of stock rack. Like your idea but would love to see. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Now that I am close to pulling the trigger on one of these I'm finally starting to try to hash out the logistics.
QUESTION:
if the tent is square closed you really aren't limited to mounting orientation are you and can position the fold out (entrance) either to the rear or to the side of the vehicle?
I would imagine that your rear tire and swing gate, where you plan on stopping would be a consideration? Passenger side in the event you're parked off the side of the hwy?
Hmmmmm

Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
View attachment 607521

A bit late for OP but may be use to others... RTT on standard rack with airdam to stop airflow under tent. Works well with little wind noise or noticeable lift.

I needed spacers under front edge of clamps due to the curved rails. Message for more info or close up pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
When you get a chance can you get a couple pics of the spacers you used or the part number would be great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do you have pictures of the Baha Rack installed? We are getting ready to pull out the visa on a Mt Shasta for our FJ but a little worried about the wind and height of mounting on top of stock rack. Like your idea but would love to see. Thanks so much.
I have mine mounted on thw stock rack. Zero issues. I do have the OEM air dam and can tell u it was a huge difference with the air dam on then when I drove with the tent and no air dam. The oem dam dramatically reduced wind noise

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
Based on what I learned from this thread and others, I mounted a James Baroud RTT hard shell to the stock rack back in June. I drove with my fam from SoCal to Yellowstone NP and back with no issues (2,000 miles). I also kept the RTT up throughout the summer camping season for beach camping. I might have lost a couple MPG's, but it was not very noticeable and I could easily find my car in any parking lot. I do recommend either the Baja Basket or other air dam and up to three Thule cross bars to make a level mounting surface. The biggest challenge is getting the RTT down without the help of 3 other grown men. I finally pieced together a fixture to remove/store it safely by myself. Thanks for the ideas and input. The OEM rack is a champ in my book.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Based on what I learned from this thread and others, I mounted a James Baroud RTT hard shell to the stock rack back in June. I drove with my fam from SoCal to Yellowstone NP and back with no issues (2,000 miles). I also kept the RTT up throughout the summer camping season for beach camping. I might have lost a couple MPG's, but it was not very noticeable and I could easily find my car in any parking lot. I do recommend either the Baja Basket or other air dam and up to three Thule cross bars to make a level mounting surface. The biggest challenge is getting the RTT down without the help of 3 other grown men. I finally pieced together a fixture to remove/store it safely by myself. Thanks for the ideas and input. The OEM rack is a champ in my book.
Thanks for the information.
Did you have to do any mods or add any additional bars to the rack? If not is the mounting of the tent on the stock curved shape something that can damage the base of your tent? Or did the tent just easily bend to the rack then bend back when unmounted.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the information.
Did you have to do any mods or add any additional bars to the rack? If not is the mounting of the tent on the stock curved shape something that can damage the base of your tent? Or did the tent just easily bend to the rack then bend back when unmounted.
The fiberglass shell is not meant to flex. In fact, there are parallel metal tracks on the underside for stiffening and mounting hardware attachments. You have to create a level base for the attachment hardware to work. You can easily do this with two Thule crossbars, or for the flatest mount possible, add a third lower profile bar in the center for support to allow you to space the other two at the maximum extremes allowed by the RTT hardware. I was able to get the bottom plane of the RTT down to 80 inches from the ground on my stock 2014 TTUE. You might get lower with an after market rack, but not a lot. The OEM rack is rated for about 600 pounds of static load (parked) and 165 or so for dynamic load (moving). My RTT weighs under 150 empty. The weight:strength ratio of the OEM rack is really quite amazing. I also used round surf pads on the cross bars to cushion the RTT and avoid damage to the glossy shell. This setup is also optimal for carrying surfboards, kayaks, or Yakima Skybox cargo carrier, etc... All-in-all, a good, easy set up that will cost about $300 if you use name brand components. Others on this forum have made their own kits for cheaper. I have other accessories that compliment the RTT like the Baja Basket and Baja Ladder that are nice but not necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
View attachment 607521

A bit late for OP but may be use to others... RTT on standard rack with airdam to stop airflow under tent. Works well with little wind noise or noticeable lift.

I needed spacers under front edge of clamps due to the curved rails. Message for more info or close up pics.

Appears to be the Smittybilt XL? If so any fitment issues on the rack? Aside from longer bolts was there anything else?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey BC, which tent is that..? Looks alot like the larger smittybilt 2883 that I have been eyeballing. Would like to know what you meant by you had to add some spacers to make your tent fit? Was it because of the larger size tent?
View attachment 607521

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey BC, which tent is that..? Looks alot like the larger smittybilt 2883 that I have been eyeballing. Would like to know what you meant by you had to add some spacers to make your tent fit? Was it because of the larger size tent?
The tent is an SCG (local importer) made in the factory producing the Iron Mn tents among others - looks identical to Tepui etc...

I have drawn a picture showing the spacers but cannot attach - if you send and email address I will send it to you,

Anyone else curious about this - pm email address.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The tent is an SCG (local importer) made in the factory producing the Iron Mn tents among others - looks identical to Tepui etc...

I have drawn a picture showing the spacers but cannot attach - if you send and email address I will send it to you,

Anyone else curious about this - pm email address.
Absolutely.. Email is [email protected]
Thanks again man.. ?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I mounted mine directly to the rack. No crossbars or anything special. I used my sleeping bags as a wind deflector to reduce the drag. Drove over 3000 miles last month like this with 0 issues.
Hey man, for your mounting are you saying that you are using the stock crossbars as opposed to aftermarket bars to mount to or are you saying you mounted your tent on the main bars that run alongside from front to back? Plan to mount mine more than likely coming off the back of the FJ not the side. My RTT just arrived plan on installing it tomorrow.. ? thx

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was able to get a Smittybilt 2783 tent on the rack with no issues. Thanks BCBuddy for the diagram. It definitely helped out. I will likely go with a lower flat rack down the road but the OEM rack does the job!
Awesome trying to figure out? Are you mounted to the crossbars or are you mounted to the side bars that run front to back?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Awesome trying to figure out? Are you mounted to the crossbars or are you mounted to the side bars that run front to back?

The tent is mount on the side bars. Mounts that come with the tent allow you to choose your orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
The tent is mount on the side bars. Mounts that come with the tent allow you to choose your orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wondering. Have tried positioning your tent towards the rear of the rack. Just mentioning that bcuz when i had my CVT postioned there it was very noisy when driving above 40. I noe have it further back , with the OEM air dam and huge noise difference. Just mentioning that if u had not tried it and if noise was a concern. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Noise hasn't been a concern for me yet. I do plan to add an air dam and will consider pushing it back if needed.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts