Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used black pvc pipe cut in half for protection of the stock rack ,also keeps things from sliding without over torquing the nuts!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello,
These photos were very helpful to me as well. I just mounted my tent to OEM rack yesterday. Have a rhino rack pioneer platform on order but it won't arrive until next month.
I see from your photos that you had excess mounting rail sticking out from under your tent. The instructions for my tent indicated I am required to cut off the excess rail. I have it mounted same as yours and while I don't have the same brand of tent as you that photo looks exactly like mine. Is there an issue if you do not cut off the excess mounting rail? I did not want to cut mine in case I decide to mount with the door off the back. I'm curious if you had had any issues opening your tent or using it with the excess mounting rail sticking out. I am assuming it is sticking out on both sides of your tent and that your door to your tent is on the passenger side.

Guess I could have PMd you but hoping you will reply here.

Thanks.

The tent is mount on the side bars. Mounts that come with the tent allow you to choose your orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there!

Yes I have excess railing on both sides of the rack. I haven't had any issues opening the tent with the rails sticking out. In the future, I might trim the ends off when I add an awning.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you for reply, bbtab. Leaving mine as is for now. Mounting the tent to the stock rack was easy and pretty quick. Had to change the bolts out to 8mm length. It is now about 1 inch too high to pull into the garage but as I said earlier I have a platform rack coming next month so that should lower enough to be able to get back in the garage.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OEM rack works great-
i have the tepui 4 season overbuilt RTT that weights about 200#'s high lift and water mounted to it. i know this is overrated for the rack, however, after 3 trail rides and a trip to the dunes. i feel pretty confident it aint going anywhere. defiantly feel like it goes three wheeling a little bit easier... i mounted it with the longer bolts also... bring a chainsaw if your worried about low hanging branches...i rammed it thought many low laying branche3s with no bad results but i also have the overbuilt 4 season tepui...connot remember what its called

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 607521

A bit late for OP but may be use to others... RTT on standard rack with airdam to stop airflow under tent. Works well with little wind noise or noticeable lift.

I needed spacers under front edge of clamps due to the curved rails. Message for more info or close up pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I must admit I do love the idea and depending on where you are this could be a much safer way to sleep. Awesome. I will have to have a look at getting one of these

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just got back from another epic road trip with the RTT/FJTTUE. I did have to make minor adjustments to the tent and tighten the clamps after a 20 mile washboard road to the Colorado River at Grand Canyon West. Gravity, bumps, and creek crossings conspired to make the tent shift slightly forward on the descent. Luckily my ratchet tools were in my permanant storage area that I built into my sleeping platform. Minor wind noise at 75 mph on freeway. Averaged 17 mpg. No other problems. Traveled 1500 miles. Last summer, did Yellowstone and 2000 miles. Fam loves the ant and bear-resistant RTT and I can say definitively that the OEM rack is up to the task.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
OEM WAAG vs BAJA insert. As with many FJ owners, I often experiment with new products and ways to do things. I have been pretty happy with my James Baroud RTT mounted on a factory rack with a Baja Rack insert basket and a Baja ladder. I have made many road trips with minimal issues.

The one thing that I do not like about the set up is that I can't mount my surfboards easily with the tent attached. I go to the beach often and like to camp near the water. My 9'4 longboard just barely fits in the cab with the passenger headrest removed. It kisses the glass on both ends. Unfortunately, that leaves room for just one passenger behind me. I have ratchet strapped my 12' paddleboard and others on top of the RTT, but it is not easy and looks odd.

FFWD to now. I just picked up a WAAG full length basket for a great price from another forum member. It is a solid piece of kit with quality on par with the Baja 1/2 Basket. Of course, The WAAG is heavier and has no wind deflector in front. The benefit is that I can now slide some surfboards under the RTT from the front. The curve of the WAAG matches the OEM rack curve and that of of my boards. The OEM rack is suddenly much more useable now. I will be re-mounting the RTT onto the level Thule bars this week. I will post more pix then.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I mounted mine directly to the rack. No crossbars or anything special. I used my sleeping bags as a wind deflector to reduce the drag. Drove over 3000 miles last month like this with 0 issues.
Do you have any pictures of how it is mounted? Also what size is that awning?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello Corey- a new person here. I saw your post's picture with the tent on top of the stock FJ roof rack. Did you have to level it at all? I'm confused because of the natural curve of the stock roof rack? Did you have to add anything to level it?

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Hello Corey- a new person here. I saw your post's picture with the tent on top of the stock FJ roof rack. Did you have to level it at all? I'm confused because of the natural curve of the stock roof rack? Did you have to add anything to level it?
Not a thing, it just sat on top of the four Yakima crossbars.
I never really noticed if it was level or not, but it sure is nicer on the BajaRack that was designed specifically for a roof top tent.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh I see Corey- so you actually bought TWO THULE crossbars and put them on top, and THEN placed your tent on those? And it was level? I swear I have a mental block with this LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
oh i meant Yakima crossbars, sorry. You just attatched them to your Toyota roof rack and placed the tent on top of that?

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
oh i meant Yakima crossbars, sorry. You just attatched them to your Toyota roof rack and placed the tent on top of that?
Yes, it sat on the four Yak bars, and they were attached to the stock rack.

·
Registered
2013 Iceberg White
41 Posts
I'm following this thread since I'm about to go off down this merry journey to a rooftop tent as well. I have a potential lead on a Tepui Ruggedized Kukenam (e) that I am pursuing. My understanding is that with minor modifications to the hardware, the Tepui options can mate directly to the OEM rack without 3rd party crossbars. I'm not quite at the point I can afford to swap out the entire OEM rack for a 3rd party expedition rack just yet. I've seen lots of comments that folks were not happy with the additional height and space between the roof when you put a RTT on the OEM rack, but thems the breaks for the near term...

That said, which Yakima towers were you using @Corey to attach the Yakima crossbars to the OEM rack? I have a set of the newer Yakima Timberline towers that I have yet to test out on the OEM rack still.

Thanks.

PS Does anyone with a Tepui know if you can mount these with the door unfolding towards the rear of the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I'm following this thread since I'm about to go off down this merry journey to a rooftop tent as well. I have a potential lead on a Tepui Ruggedized Kukenam (e) that I am pursuing. My understanding is that with minor modifications to the hardware, the Tepui options can mate directly to the OEM rack without 3rd party crossbars. I'm not quite at the point I can afford to swap out the entire OEM rack for a 3rd party expedition rack just yet. I've seen lots of comments that folks were not happy with the additional height and space between the roof when you put a RTT on the OEM rack, but thems the breaks for the near term...

That said, which Yakima towers were you using @Corey to attach the Yakima crossbars to the OEM rack? I have a set of the newer Yakima Timberline towers that I have yet to test out on the OEM rack still.

Thanks.

PS Does anyone with a Tepui know if you can mount these with the door unfolding towards the rear of the vehicle?
G'day, it looks like they were the Yakima Low Rider clamps, as I have the link my post from my thread when the tent was first mounted.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/7401-coreys-fj-few-mods-6.html#post889353

Of course the link to Yakima is dead, maybe they quit making them, or they changed the URL to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a big guy (315 lbs). With the wife and two toddlers we're going to be in 570lb country without the tent. Has anyone got experience with 4 man tents and sleeping 600 to 800 lbs of human in their RTT? I am planning to go the trailer mounted tent route, possibly soon, but I was hoping we could 'car camp' without the trailer if it's not a big expedition.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm a big guy (315 lbs). With the wife and two toddlers we're going to be in 570lb country without the tent. Has anyone got experience with 4 man tents and sleeping 600 to 800 lbs of human in their RTT? I am planning to go the trailer mounted tent route, possibly soon, but I was hoping we could 'car camp' without the trailer if it's not a big expedition.
I assume you are running an OEM roof rack since this is in the "OEM Rack" thread? If so, the OEM alloy load bars and rails are rated at 156lb dynamic load. I would imagine switching out the stock thin-walled alloy load bars for the Yakima or Thule bars like @Corey has above this would increase payload capacity.

Static load numbers on the other hand haven't been posted (that I've found) for an OEM rack. I would take a wild guess that 500-600lb static load on an OEM rack with Yak/Thule bars wouldn't be unreasonable. I believe that the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform / Backbone setup has a static load limit of 800lb for comparison.

Again, I don't have an OEM rack on my FJ. I have a RR Backbone with (3) AluCab load bars with an AluCab tent and Awning (~220lb) and my wife and I are (~310lb)... no issues here.

John

·
Banned
2 Posts
I bolted my homemade rack to the factory mount points, it worked just fine. The rack is just 1X1 steel with 4 connection points.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just put my RTT on my OEM rack for the summer. This will be my third year. Yellowstone, Zion, and Grand Canyon trips in addition to beach trips. I have nearly perfected the one-man install method with my mobile storage rack. I use 2 Thule crossbars.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 68 Posts