Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

With the specs that have been released, the FJ will be 71.7" tall.

:confused: Any estimates of how tall with a roofrack and lights?

This might make some garages a problem.:eek:

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,057 Posts
i think the better question is how small is your garage??? dont know if the rack specs have been released but i cant imagine it making too much of a difference in the overall height to affect most garages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I've actually been thinking about this as well. I usually park in parking structures with 6'7" clearance at most, so I'm interested in finding out the height as well. I don't like racks anyway, so I'll probably opt to not have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Gentleman,
I have had this concern since day one. I have taken a tape measure with me to see the FJ 4 times. Each time they have had different size tires on it!
At the LA auto show the roof rack's highest point was 78 inches from the floor.
The lights on the rack would be a taller measurement by roughly 4 inches.

I am in the process of rebuilding my garage door to squeeze the FJ in... no lift kit or tall tires till I move!

hope that helps,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
They need to come out with a low profile, more traditional rack option for those of us who just want a couple crossbars to hold surfboards, bikes, skis, whatever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Ben said:
They need to come out with a low profile, more traditional rack option for those of us who just want a couple crossbars to hold surfboards, bikes, skis, whatever.
Surfboards, now that would be a bummer, pulling into the garage with an extra few inches of surfboard....crunch! Maybe just deflate your tires before going into your garage.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Here is a list of commercial parking garages. Looks like the FJ will be ok....with the lights, bigger tires, and a lift look out.

The University of Washington has several parking garages which have restricted heights. Garage clearances are as follows:

Central Plaza Garage -- 6'10"
The Central Plaza Garage can be accessed from NE 41st St. and 15th Avenue.
Padelford Parking Garage -- 7'0"
The Padelford Garage can be accessed from Pend Oreille Road off Montlake Blvd. NE.
South Campus Parking Garage-- 7'5".
The South Campus Garage can be accessed from 15th Avenue NE and Columbia Road which is located behind the University of Washington Medical Center.
Triangle Parking Garage -- 6'8"
The Triangle Garage can be accessed from NE Pacific Place. This underground facility is located across NE Pacific Street from the University of Washington Medical Center which administers the facility for use by patients and visitors to UW Medical Center patients.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
mappelman said:
Here is a list of commercial parking garages. Looks like the FJ will be ok....with the lights, bigger tires, and a lift look out.

The University of Washington has several parking garages which have restricted heights. Garage clearances are as follows:

Central Plaza Garage -- 6'10"
The Central Plaza Garage can be accessed from NE 41st St. and 15th Avenue.
Padelford Parking Garage -- 7'0"
The Padelford Garage can be accessed from Pend Oreille Road off Montlake Blvd. NE.
South Campus Parking Garage-- 7'5".
The South Campus Garage can be accessed from 15th Avenue NE and Columbia Road which is located behind the University of Washington Medical Center.
Triangle Parking Garage -- 6'8"
The Triangle Garage can be accessed from NE Pacific Place. This underground facility is located across NE Pacific Street from the University of Washington Medical Center which administers the facility for use by patients and visitors to UW Medical Center patients.
looks like some people might be parking about a block away and walkin the rest:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
cheazhd said:
Gentleman,
I have had this concern since day one. I have taken a tape measure with me to see the FJ 4 times. Each time they have had different size tires on it!
At the LA auto show the roof rack's highest point was 78 inches from the floor.
The lights on the rack would be a taller measurement by roughly 4 inches.

I am in the process of rebuilding my garage door to squeeze the FJ in... no lift kit or tall tires till I move!

hope that helps,
Thanks! Looks like a no go for me. I kind of liked the rack w/ the lights, but didn't do much for me alone. Either way, looks too high for me. I assume somone might make an after market rack some day that is lower for kayaks, bikes etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
t5gt said:
Thanks! Looks like a no go for me. I kind of liked the rack w/ the lights, but didn't do much for me alone. Either way, looks too high for me. I assume somone might make an after market rack some day that is lower for kayaks, bikes etc.
Not some day...today!, While at SEMA, I came across a company who had a FJ cruiser roof rack on display... although it too was very high. they are on the way!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top