Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone interested in a better/ cleaner way to run wires through their roof for running roofrack lights? I just got some special connectors in and will be fabricating my idea this weekend. If there are some others out there looking for an alternative to plumbing pipe or siliconed wires sticking out of your roof, let me know, I may be interested in making a few of these available for purchase.

The only details I will provide at this time are... It will still involve drilling a hole in your roof. It will be detachable, if you wanna ditch the roof rack to save gas mileage. I promise, it'll look super clean. Good enough to sit in the middle of your roof with no rack and be clean on the eyes.

I will hopefully have a finished piece this weekend, I will edit this with pictures when I do. Let me know who is looking for something of this nature... and input would be appriciated as well.

EDIT
Ok, I've spent most of the day saturday in the garage, this project took me alot longer than I expected. I went through three ideas before I came up with something I liked. My goal was to emulate the sattelite recievers ontop of some cars (range rovers) but to have it function as a bulkhead passage for roofrack wires to go through. I have a few pictures of the finished product, maybe next weekend I will remove the headliner and install it.

Basicly it's just a fancy looking box to house a waterproof four pin, 25amp per terminal connector that can be used to power anything on the roof. I can get defferent configurations on connectors, even coaxial to run a cb radio antennea off the roof.

Building this took me an extremely long amount of time. Before I even consifer making any more I need to think of a more efficient way of making these.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Jrock, I'm interested. No plans for lights yet, but when the right setup comes up, it'll happen. Looking forward to pics or PMs. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
.....eager anticipation......:redblob:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Does anyone know about patenting? If I post pictures of a good idea and someone steals it, and I SOL?
First off, I'd be interested in seeing what you have. Be careful though, you're going to need a Vendor status before selling anything here.

I know a few things about patenting...

If you're really serious about it, zip it right now and not say anything more. Spend time reading some similar patents and reading the USPTO's guides to writing patents. If you've got money, I'd highly suggest getting a patent lawyer to write it all up in the legal jargon properly for you -- it increases your chances of acceptance. Another thing the patent attorney will do is usually outsource the drawings and illustrations to someone who prepares them in a very neat and concise manner. None of those napkin-drawing patents really go forward much anymore, the USPTO looks higher upon properly-written stuff...

If you're confident your idea could get a patent, I highly recommend the "accelerated" dispositions. They're generally peer-reviewed (by a group of people in the appropriate field) but they take 12 months or less for the final decision (I've seen patents take up to 5+ years to be issued).

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The other side of the patent issue is the simple question. Will you sell enough of these to return the money spent getting the patent and a profit.

Also a couple minor changes to your product and someone will be out there producing them as well. Often times the best idea is to strike first and strike fast.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here is how I ran the wiring on my rig.
First I started out with an All-Pro air dam with Piaa lights.

The lights came with quick disconnects but I wanted something more sleek. If a light every goes out I will just have to splice it in. Not a big deal.

I unbolted the front driver rail and drilled the hole through the roof there. Then I drilled a hole in the side of the roof rail and pulled the wire through. It's very clean. This is not my idea but something I picked up from the Summit last year.

The headliner looks perfect. I have a small Piaa switch on the dash and it's all good. I have had no issues with leaks or any noise. Hope it helps. Phil

·
Registered
570 Posts
Interested......

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I ran my electric the same way TanaJ did, up through the foot of the rack and out the side of the rack tube.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I run my own 14AWG wires inside the tube of the roof light bar.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do it JRock. A patent is seldom worth the paper it's printed on. It's only something to hang on your wall. Go ahead and market a good product aimed at a tiny market and add a good margin for your efforts. This kind of thing is worth a lot to us FJers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fabrication is in full swing, my garage is a complete mess. Screw patents, I dare someone to match my quality. I'll hopefully have some pictures up here tonight. As for selling them, the MODS have informed me I will have to obtain a vender's status before I advertise they are for sale.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is the way I feel as well...

I basically felt like there was two options. Patent and go after everyone who tries to copy it tooth and nail, or try and focus on the quality and customer satisfaction with the product.

I kinda accepted the fact that they're going to copy it regardless (competitors). Be the first to offer it and use that to your advantage in advertising ("The Original!"). Most importantly, focusing on a continuous level of high quality will help bring in the customers in and of itself.

Just a few observations from a fellow enthusiast gearing up to release a product here... I'm keeping an eye on your thread here. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts