Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a James Baroud Evasion or Evasion XXL on my '07 Wild Cherry. Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this project? Specifically, can I use the factory roof rack or do I need to remove and replace? If replace, any advice about the new unit? Also, it looks like the XXL will be wider than the vehicle, though not wider than the mirrors. Any advice about this? Look stupid? Should I stick with the standard-size Evasion? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I want to put a James Baroud Evasion or Evasion XXL on my '07 Wild Cherry. Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this project? Specifically, can I use the factory roof rack or do I need to remove and replace? If replace, any advice about the new unit? Also, it looks like the XXL will be wider than the vehicle, though not wider than the mirrors. Any advice about this? Look stupid? Should I stick with the standard-size Evasion? Any help would be appreciated.
It's your first post so I will initially say WELCOME!

Now, I will kindly tell you to look at the Camping Equipment forum as well as use Google... start with "fj cruiser forums" then type your search (see below screenshot). You'll get a lot of info this way. This topic is well documented.

In terms of the Baroud XXL, its going to be big and you're better off with an aftermarket rack... ditch the OEM. If you're over 6ft tall, I'd recommend the XXL though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Black Canyon Boy

Welcome to the forum. i have a ARB Simpson II on a Baja Utility (flat) Rack. i have found that the after market rack is a much better platform. my tent is mounted forward on the truck. the draw back to that is this rack is close to the roof so it is harder to take on and off because of access to the bolts.
i looked on James Baroud Evasion website and the photo they show is using the same rack that i have. this rack works very well for RTT's

JKFJ08

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,312 Posts
welcome!! follow darkhorse's advise. you can use the oem rack but it's not ideal. plenty of roof rack options. there's even a "Complete roofrack guide " thread to see available options and prices. I will say the Warrior Products flat rack is the least expensive full length roofrack that I have found with the highest advertised load rating of 1,000lbs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
welcome!! follow darkhorse's advise. you can use the oem rack but it's not ideal. plenty of roof rack options. there's even a "Complete roofrack guide " thread to see available options and prices. I will say the Warrior Products flat rack is the least expensive full length roofrack that I have found with the highest advertised load rating of 1,000lbs.
Warrior looked cheaper, but after a shipping quote my rhino rack came out slightly less to my door, likely due to the flatpack shipping since it shipped unassembled. Obviously this may differ greatly depending on location, but I found it quite deceiving that several vendors advertise a low price up front on a full length rack only to come back with a $200-400 freight shipping quote. :flame:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I run the smaller size James Baroud Evasion Evo RTT on the stock rack and have had no problem for 1,000 mile trips. I actually use 2 Thule cross bars to level out the natural curve. There is minimal noise or drag. I have also used a Baja Basket or a WAAG basket with it without increasing height. This configuration also increases the weight capacity and in the case of the WAAG, has allowd me to carry a surfboard under the tent. The Evo seems to be a better fit to me and costs less. The larger Baroud tents will definitely overhang on the sides a few inches more. This was a determining factor for me. You also need some room between the roof and rack to put on hardware, so I dont mind an extra inch in height. I am 6 ft even and find the tent comfortable.

That being said, the OEM rack costs $200 plus, an insert basket costs $400-600 plus and the Thule bars are probably $70 each. That $1000 could go a long way towards a flat aftermarket rack. I just happened to get all the above for only $250, and it works, so I don't plan to upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Warrior looked cheaper, but after a shipping quote my rhino rack came out slightly less to my door, likely due to the flatpack shipping since it shipped unassembled. Obviously this may differ greatly depending on location, but I found it quite deceiving that several vendors advertise a low price up front on a full length rack only to come back with a $200-400 freight shipping quote. :flame:
If you ended up with a Rhino Rack Backbone and Pioneer Platform I will tell you from experience that the Pioneer Platform is notoriously difficult for installing a RTT. Your best course of action will be to drill thru the planks of the Rhino Rack to attach the tent bolts. Otherwise you could spend the extra $300+ for Frontrunner Quick Release brackets.

In my personal trial and error with (3) RTT's in the last year, I've found that the Rhino Rack Backbone paired with some simple Alu-Cab load bars make the more simplistic and RTT friendly setup... unless you need the full platform. Plus, you'll save a few hundred bucks this route.

$330 MSRP for the Backbone
$179 MSRP for a pair of 1450mm Alu-Cab load bars... you'll need (2) pairs and have an extra one laying around.

If you shop around those prices could be lower of course.

Here's a not-so-great pic of my FJ with the RR Backbone and Alu-Cab bars prior to tent installation. (3) load bars tie directly into the (3) mounting points on the Backbone

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you ended up with a Rhino Rack Backbone and Pioneer Platform I will tell you from experience that the Pioneer Platform is notoriously difficult for installing a RTT. Your best course of action will be to drill thru the planks of the Rhino Rack to attach the tent bolts. Otherwise you could spend the extra $300+ for Frontrunner Quick Release brackets.

In my personal trial and error with (3) RTT's in the last year, I've found that the Rhino Rack Backbone paired with some simple Alu-Cab load bars make the more simplistic and RTT friendly setup... unless you need the full platform. Plus, you'll save a few hundred bucks this route.

$330 MSRP for the Backbone
$179 MSRP for a pair of 1450mm Alu-Cab load bars... you'll need (2) pairs and have an extra one laying around.

If you shop around those prices could be lower of course.

Here's a not-so-great pic of my FJ with the RR Backbone and Alu-Cab bars prior to tent installation. (3) load bars tie directly into the (3) mounting points on the Backbone

Odd, I've not had a problem mounting anything, well other than being miffed at the price rhino wanted for my traction board's mount from them. I've since made all the mounts for multiple cases, my traction boards, ect. I'm about to order another pioneer platform for my VW bus just waiting to see if they can do a longer one for it so all the mounts I'm making can pop back and forth between my vehicles. I think many people don't realize that the platform is a standard T-slot, it's just metric. I just cut little hdpe adaptors/bushings to slide over standard galvanized carriage bolts from the big box store. For female you just need some flat bar stock to cut into 1.5" or so lengths then drill and tap to your preferred thread. I may be biased, but I already use standard T-Track on many of my workstations around the garage so I was quite familiar to working with it. My only real annoyance with the pioneer platform is that it's metric, but that's hard to hold against them since its the US that's the holdout on that. :bandit: I don't have a rooftop tent, doubtful I'll need one anytime soon, but the pioneer platform makes a great equipment hauler and elevated shooting platform.

:armed:

Rack bits by Erik, on Flickr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts