Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up my FJ a few weeks ago. the spare is brand new still has nubs and everything, the other 4 wheels have maybe 25k miles on them(based on the carfax info). BFG ko all terrain tires. is it too late for me to throw the spare on and incorporate all 5 tires now when rotating them to extend the life? never had a car with 5 full sized tires and matching rims so i never had the luxury of rotating 5 wheels. i wont be driving more than probably 5k miles a year so waiting to buy new tires and using the spare will probably so far away id have to worry about dry rot and/or weather deterioration

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it the original spare that came with the car or was it purchased along with the other 4? What’s the date code on it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it the original spare that came with the car or was it purchased along with the other 4? What’s the date code on it?
****. Yea its 2010 on the spare and 2016 in the other 4. I was going through pics on my phone @work and didnt really even know which one i was looking at. Well all the more reason to get some use in that spare id think its still in great condition no dry rot or sidewall cracks or anything

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
****. Yea its 2010 on the spare and 2016 in the other 4. I was going through pics on my phone @work and didnt really even know which one i was looking at. Well all the more reason to get some use in that spare id think its still in great condition no dry rot or sidewall cracks or anything
Hurts to think of tossing a “new” tire but here’s something to think about. Appearance may not be indicative of the tire’s integrity. Unfortunately FJ spares are not hidden from their worst enemy: the sun. While most spares are protected from UV light under the car or in the trunk, ours (the ones that are too large for the OEM tire cover) spend their entire life exposed to it. Tire rubber has a protectant in it that wears off with time/oxygen/heat/UV. Eventually the tire rubber becomes less pliable.. externally this leads to less grip on the road and internally this leads to less stability between the layers of rubber and steel. If you think about the internal forces that the tire encounters on say a long highway trip or a simple cornering maneuver at speed it’s pretty impressive how they hold up to the abuse.

Nonetheless, we see POS tires on cars all the time and they seem to perform fine but if it were mine I would swap it out for a solid spare to avoid a potential catastrophic failure on the road... Near 10 years of sun exposure is a harsh life for a tire.

I have a 68 mustang with 7 year old BFG TAs that had not moved in a while but were stored in a hot garage in my Texas home. First time rolling on them the tire’s steel band busted through the rubber. Needles to say I learned my lesson on old tires.. just my humble 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts