Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rotella T 5W40 fully synthetic

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Zeus 
#1 ·
Rotella T 5W40 fully synthetic. Not one post on this oil in the search. I am going to be using it for the summer in the FJ. I have used it with great results in My FZ1.

Just wondering why no one here has brought it up before? It gets raves on every other auto sight. It is a hard working oil that stands up to extreem heat well.
Anyone have good input?

Bill

#3 ·
The Rotella is a heavy duty diesel engine oil. Rated very highly, so is Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, and the consumer offering Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40.

Any heavy duty diesel oil has far higher detergent levels than a regular passenger car oil. Even with extended oil changes, the motor will stay spotless inside

There is some concern that using a HD diesel oil in a passenger car might not be compatible with the O2 sensors or catalyst. For the most part, that's bull. Almost every HD diesel oil I have seen is cross-rated to SM or SL.

I have an '84 Ford pickup at my hobby farm that has been in the family since new. It has *always* run on HD engine oils, usually Delvac 1 or Esso XD-3. Several years ago I noticed a bit of seepage from the intake gasket, so had to pull the intake manifold

Well, one of the bolts snapped in the head, so I had to take one of the heads off too. Note: most Ford's of that vintage set the valve clearance by different length pushrods. Never pull out all the pushrods and throw them into a box. Set up an organizer so every lifter and pushrod will go back to it's correct location

Underneath the manifold was spotless, a bit of film on the EGR passage. Most Ford intake manifolds with the EGR crossover will be so heavily built up after 15-20 years you'd have to use a crowbar to pry the manifold off.

Intake valley absolutely spotless. All the lifters were clean and free moving. Cylinder head spotless too, rockers and springs all clean. FWIW that motor has 530,000 km on it, compression is 125 lbs, with oil squirted compression is 170 lbs

I'm currently using Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula in my FJ, with very good used oil analysis. I wouldn't be afraid to run Delvac 1 or Esso XD-3 0W-40/15W-40 either

The Rotella should work fine for you. There will be minimal fuel economy difference. I ran Esso XD-3 15W-40 in my Prius a couple of summers ago. Compared to Mobil 1 0W-30, at most 2 mpg less

#4 ·
I use Rotella T syn 5w-40 in my SC300. Its a great oil. The car is 15 years old and runs strong but has been needing a slightly thicker oil especially during the summertime. The car required 10w-30 in high temps so going to a 5w-40 wouldn't change much in terms of mileage or anything. For the FJ it will probably work as well. I wouldn't use it in engines that require a 0w-20 or a 5w-20 weight oil, however.

#5 ·
Well I have been using Rotella T 5W-40 for the last 3 oil changes with a NAPA GOLD WIC HIGH volume filter. no noticeable loss in MPG. I just did a trip back from Arkansas @ 23 MPG. The engine is very quiet and strong. I will possibly go with a lighter oil in the winter? This oil is performing awesome.

#6 ·
The synthetic heavy duty 5W-40 is usually suggested as being appropriate down to about -30 C or -22 F, same cold temp cutoff as a conventional 5W-30.

So unless you live in an area with temps consistently as cold, or colder, don't worry about switching viscosity. You will only notice a difference in cranking speed, if you switch to a 0W-xx, once the temps are <-20 F

An oil like Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W-40, or the made in Germany Castrol Syntec 0W-30, are good to -40, perhaps a bit colder

#7 ·
Lets get an update!!!!

I've heard more and more people swearing by the Rotella synthetic, as this thread is almost 2 years old i'd like to see how many members are using it and with what results. Just checked the pricing and its nearly HALF the price of Mobil 1 synthetic per gallon. Money is tight right now with the absurd gas prices. So lets hear some opinions....

#8 ·
I have never used Rotella but I did post last year a used oil analysis of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 in my FJ. Overall excellent results

But I also had excellent results with the made in Germany Castrol Syntec 0W-30, another oil that a lot of folks swear by. It even has a cult following

SInce I can very easily find the GC 0W-30 at local Canadian Tire stores, and have a difficult time finding the M1 TDT 5W-40 or M1 0W-40, I will probably stay with the GC 0W-30

#10 ·
I usually ignore oil threads but I have used Rotella in my Powerstroke since it was new in 96 with no issues. I also used it in my drag engines (10, 9 and 8 second cars) after Koffels Place told a friend to switch from Mobil 1 to a diesel oil after he kept smoking valve guides in his B1 motor.

I then used it in the next hobby for 10 years leading up to here (Sport and Adventure motorcycles). To include a 153 RWHP FZ1 and a 155 RWHP R1 with quite a few track days (consistent operation above 7000 RPM with no problems ever).

I use it in the wife's Murano and will use it in the FJ as soon as I get to an oil change. I run Standard Rotella in the older cars and Synthetic in the newer. Come pull an oil sample on the wifes Murano if anyone wants to check it out for a more scientific breakdown but for me it just works.

I did run Amsoil in the KTM 950 to get the weight they recommended and have never heard somebody say anything negative about it. Mobil 1 has the best marketing campaign but not synthetic oil in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.