Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been away for awhile... Has anything been done about the OEM "Alloy" rims that are falling apart? Any suggestions on a replacement?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Do you mean rusting?

I've re-painted old aluminum rims which started to leak at the bead seals due to corrosion, but there is a limit to how much pitting (from rust) can be dealt with. After a certain point the best course of action is to get new rims.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you mean rusting?

I've re-painted old aluminum rims which started to leak at the bead seals due to corrosion, but there is a limit to how much pitting (from rust) can be dealt with. After a certain point the best course of action is to get new rims.
Your aluminum rims aren't rusting. And the OP really needs to be more specific in what kind of corrosion he is experiencing. Florida saltwater or Canada's salted roads are going to eat aluminum rims right up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Any suggestions on a replacement?
Here in Canada, new 2007 FJ alloy rims are $580 each so don't throw them out even if they are really ugly. There are companies that refinish and repair alloy rims at surprisingly reasonable prices given how much labour is needed. This may be a cost effective solution and then you don't need to deal with aftermarket rims.

It isn't difficult, just time consuming, to sand them down and repaint them with a few coats of aluminum wheel primer, a few more coats of aluminum wheel paint, and then 3-4 coats of clear coat and have them look good again. After a few weeks, then wax the paint well. Since you have five rims, you could do one at a time without taking the vehicle off the road.

The main thing is to make sure to wax all of the rims regularly. Even if they are already in bad shape, wax them anyway to keep them from getting worse so they don't get harder to repair later. Once the clear-coat breaks through, the bare aluminum under will corrode rapidly if there is any salt. It turns to a white or black powdery like substance and continues corroding under the remaining paint which then bubbles and flakes off exposing more aluminum, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, the guy at tire kingdom told me the same, and tried to sell me some after market rims. I started searching on the all knowing Google and found a set of 4 new TRD PRO 17x8 wheels at Elite Custom Rims for $669.00 with free shipping!

·
Registered
263 Posts
The main thing is to make sure to wax all of the rims regularly. Even if they are already in bad shape, wax them anyway to keep them from getting worse so they don't get harder to repair later. Once the clear-coat breaks through, the bare aluminum under will corrode rapidly if there is any salt. It turns to a white or black powdery like substance and continues corroding under the remaining paint which then bubbles and flakes off exposing more aluminum, etc.
[/QUOTE]

When you mention the Main Thing is to Wax them regularly do you mean something like a little Turtle Wax or is there something that works or lasts better on Rims ??

·
Registered
432 Posts
When you mention the Main Thing is to Wax them regularly do you mean something little Turtle Wax or is there something that lasts better on Rims ??
I use NuFinish, but old fashioned Turtle Wax paste works pretty good. As long as you use something instead of neglecting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts