Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I installed my Rough Country 3" Lift myself. It was pretty straight forward. Front was the easiest. No spring compressor necessary. Be sure to disconnect sway bar on both ends before attempting to lift up to move out of the way so you can swing the strut out. Rear is little trickier. Removing the orig shocks was tough, the top bolt was very hard, had to use locking pliers just below the top of the shock, 7mm wrench at the very top, and then grab the top of the shock and hold it as I twisted the 17mm nut off. One tricky item on the rear was getting the springs out, I found it was best to get the passenger spring out first, then the driver spring, then install the new driver spring and then install the passenger spring. It helps to sit on the rotor while you manuever the spring into place in order to get enough room. There is just enough to do it without compressing the spring.

BEFORE: FJ Cruiser 4x4 : 30.5" Front Bumper / 26.25" Back Bumper
AFTER : FJ Cruiser 4x4 : 34" Front Bumper / 28" Back Bumper
This is after I drove to the alignment shop and so its settled a little. So right now I have a 3.5" Lift in front and a 2.75" lift in the rear.

Alignment was good actually, Camber was 0.4 on both sides when I brought it in, Caster was 2.1/2.8, Toe was 0.00/0.15, I had them adjust to Caster 2.1/2.4, Camber kept at 0.4, and Toe set to 0.05 on both sides. Drives great

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I love mine also. Just got through cleaning the last bit of mud from the Coon Creek Crawl. Going to get the front end aligned Saturday. I clear the garage door by about 2 inches.:bouncy:

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
CCC mud...it's now part of my yard. I had to pull the rear bumper so that I could push out the dent in the rear bumper wing. I was suprised at how much mud was inside and around the bumper and wings. That power washer is paying for itself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well today I installed my Rough Country 3" Lift myself. It was pretty straight forward. Front was the easiest. No spring compressor necessary. Be sure to disconnect sway bar on both ends before attempting to lift up to move out of the way so you can swing the strut out. Rear is little trickier. Removing the orig shocks was tough, the top bolt was very hard, had to use locking pliers just below the top of the shock, 7mm wrench at the very top, and then grab the top of the shock and hold it as I twisted the 17mm nut off. One tricky item on the rear was getting the springs out, I found it was best to get the passenger spring out first, then the driver spring, then install the new driver spring and then install the passenger spring. It helps to sit on the rotor while you manuever the spring into place in order to get enough room. There is just enough to do it without compressing the spring.

BEFORE: FJ Cruiser 4x4 : 30.5" Front Bumper / 26.25" Back Bumper
AFTER : FJ Cruiser 4x4 : 34" Front Bumper / 28" Back Bumper
This is after I drove to the alignment shop and so its settled a little. So right now I have a 3.5" Lift in front and a 2.75" lift in the rear.

Alignment was good actually, Camber was 0.4 on both sides when I brought it in, Caster was 2.1/2.8, Toe was 0.00/0.15, I had them adjust to Caster 2.1/2.4, Camber kept at 0.4, and Toe set to 0.05 on both sides. Drives great

that's a good lookin FJC you got there... so the rough country uses the stock coils in the front w/ the added spacer...correcto.. and then the back is shocks and coils right? it doesnt look difficult to install..im thinkin either RC 3" or RC 6" or gettin' procomps 5.5" ...you gonna be at the meeting next thursday (20th)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just threw on my RC 3" last night and i was wondering where you were taking your measurements on the bumpers. I measured on the sides before and after and it only seems to be about a 2" difference, so I'd like to compare the bumper heights to see if ours are the same. Also, are you running the stock 265/70/17s?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just got my 3" kit two days ago... now, I measured the front spacer, and it measures exactly 1.5" how could this raise the 3" the kit is suppose to raise? can someone explain....

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I just got my 3" kit two days ago... now, I measured the front spacer, and it measures exactly 1.5" how could this raise the 3" the kit is suppose to raise? can someone explain....
I believe it is the geometry of the front suspension that produces 3 inches of lift with only a 1.5" spacer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe it is the geometry of the front suspension that produces 3 inches of lift with only a 1.5" spacer.
thanks FB! I should be installing it soon... :bananahump-slvrathl

·
Registered
181 Posts
take a 12 inch ruler and lay it flat on a desk. then stick a 1" something under it at the 6 inch point, keeping the 0" touching the desk, and see how much the 12 inch end is now sticking up. Same idea.

Kurt

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got my RC 3'' kit and noticed that paint was already pealing/chipping on the brand new springs. Anyone else with this kit notice any similar issue? Is this something to worry about?....I live by the ocean so it concerns me..

·
Registered
190 Posts
little touch up problem solved.....:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts