Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck in between Tuff country and Rough country lift kits. Want to buy some 285 70 17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and needs some extra clearance. Only do light off-roading (mudding / beach / and dirt/rocky trails up in the mountains) and the FJ is my daily driver.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

or

Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2010 - Lift Kit - Tuff Country EZ-Ride

rough country also offers this kit which offers "Luxury ride coil springs", though I'm not sure if it is really worth the extra money. Any opinions?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

Trying to decide by tomorrow morning so I can give the shop the go ahead to order the tires and kit. Going to be gone the next week and would like to have it done before I leave.

Really appreciate any help guys. Trying to spend under 1500 for the tires, kit, and labor. If you have a better kit that might suit my needs, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Well, since they are all spacer lifts they are all about the same. I would get the RC, but get the one with the springs for the rear and not the spacers. That way when your spacer lift trashes your ball joints a year down the road, your rear will be good to go with a front upgrade. At least that's how I did it.:lol: Good luck on your choice!:cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, since they are all spacer lifts they are all about the same. I would get the RC, but get the one with the springs for the rear and not the spacers. That way when your spacer lift trashes your ball joints a year down the road, your rear will be good to go with a front upgrade. At least that's how I did it.:lol: Good luck on your choice!:cheers:
And this is what is keeping me on edge

Is there another option that would give me a 3" lift but for under $600? Just having a hard time justifying spending the extra money when I don't do serious offroading

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
And this is what is keeping me on edge

Is there another option that would give me a 3" lift but for under $600? Just having a hard time justifying spending the extra money when I don't do serious offroading
If your just looking for a budget lift I still say the RC is the best way to go. Any lift regardless of type or manufacture needs aftermarket UCA's to get the upper ball joint back to a more neutral position. I have Camburg's on mine, the kind that takes the factory ball joint. I think they are about $350 a pair. It's something you could put off for a while, just keep an eye on your ball joints. It would also be one less thing to upgrade when you out grow the spacer lift.:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put the 3" rough country lift kit in mine, and have had no issues at all, and have had great compliments on the lift.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
i'll share the same thing i said in another spacer lift the other day. yes, they will lift the vehicle, and you can squeeze the tires in down there, but at the end of the day, they suck. eventually you're more than likely going to want a suspension lift. save yourself a few hundred bucks, and wait a little bit, all the while saving, and get what you'll want in a year, now. just my $.02.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the Tuff Country on mine becuase i only do light off roading as well... and my FJ is my daily driver.. i have no issues after 6 monthes with stock size tires. ball joints are still in great shape and have no complaints... plus for $300 and 4 hours of my time to install... it was well worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts