Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a set of wheels to have powder coated. The wheels are cast aluminum. Got a call today saying they were done but there were a few "rough" spots from when the wheels were cast. I went to pick them up and wasn't happy with the finish. For the most part the wheels looked great. But on several spots on each wheel it looked bubbled, for lack of a better term. looked kinda like what rust looks like on a car before it breaks through the paint. When I talked to the guy on the phone he said that he tried to sand them down with a DA but the rough spots were too deep. He said it was from casting them in the mold. I run molds every day myself, so I assumed what he meant was there were some grooves where the parting lines were at in the mold(the line where the two halves of the mold close) When I looked at them it was obvious too me that the areas could have easily been sanded down. So I don't know if the problem was during powder coat or a bad prep job. Every one had already left for the day except two people who were helpful and assured me they would talk to the correct person about the problem. About 15 min later I got a call from the owner stating he would get it taken car of. Any ways, my question to any one who has powder coated wheels is, did you have any of the same problems? The guy made it seem like this was quite common with casted wheels. That those blemishes are there from the factory but when they dip and paint the rims it covers it up. I got a GREAT deal on the coating compared to other places I called so I am thinking it was a poor prep job. I will update when I have more info. No pics, i should have taken one with my phone to post with this but did not.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Powder coat will never be as smooth as paint, but good prep, good application and proper baking will make it almost a s smooth as paint. Can't tell without seeing it if you are just being too picky or the coater didn't do a good enough job, but I'm leaning towards the latter. :) Good powder coating is expensive because of the labor and care in the prep work.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I powdercoated my whees and they came out very smooth. I had bought ProComp wheels that came black and the powdercoater sandblasted the black paint off before powdercoating them white. They came out great, so my guess is the prep was not adequate on yours.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have had lots of items powder coated, sounds like bad prep work. The final finish results are always done in the beginning.

"Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good"

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Powder coat will never be as smooth as paint, but good prep, good application and proper baking will make it almost a s smooth as paint. Can't tell without seeing it if you are just being too picky or the coater didn't do a good enough job, but I'm leaning towards the latter. :) Good powder coating is expensive because of the labor and care in the prep work.
I have had lots of items powder coated, sounds like bad prep work. The final finish results are always done in the beginning.

"Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good"
what they said ^^^^ here are some samples from a good powder coating shop....

yup.. those are all powder coated :bigthumb: made by: http://www.grandstanddesigns.com/cmsms/gsd-coatings/powder-coating.html

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow... Joe those wheels are perrrty..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts