Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many Bandi CB installs, so I will not show my entire install...just the part on how I routed my CB wire through the rear door.

Note: In the pics below, you'll notice I have the cable on the wrong side of the hinge, make sure you go under the hinge and to the mount or you'll pinch the cable.

Here you see my CB wire go into the door. I stepped drilled till the hole was big enough for the cable to fit.

Then I ran the wire back out the rear door

I used single strand wire and feed it through the factory harness hose, then I taped my flexible CB cable to it. And pulled through into the cab of my FJ.

Ah nice and clean. No holes in the factory harness hose and no way for the wire to flex or kink. :rocker:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Good Job!! I did something very similar with my ham radio install, but I had my antenna on the passenger side. I then ran it through the back panel, through the factory harness cover boot thingy and through to the FJ. It took a bit, but the install looks great and you can't see any of the wires.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
That is pretty much what I did. Although yours has a cleaner look due to the use of the rubber grommet where the antenna enters the door. Nice work!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the idea, Swicago! After seeing this, I set mine up the same way (including a grommet). I drilled mine on the small angled section below the hinge. Two layers of metal in that location but very easy to drill. And I've routed the wire into the jack compartment and through to the back seat. Shortly, my CB install project will be completed.

Thanks again!

toby

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
NICE and CLEAN, mine still goes through the
door opening and sandwiched' between the
door sill and seal... :D...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
looks good, im in the process of running my wires up to the front, through all the panels. btw do you have any walkthrought for getting the pannels all off so i can run my lines?

·
Registered
274 Posts
btw do you have any walkthrought for getting the pannels all off so i can run my lines?
No need to remove any panels. I used a long coat hanger "snake" to fish the line from the jack compartment to the rear seats. The "snake" will pop out by the plastic panel near the floor when the rear seat bottom is folded forward. From there you can easily tuck it under the other wall panel with your fingers. This is as far as I got so far, but I plan to continue to run the wire under the plastic door sill panel and to the driver's kick panel. I hope that helps.

toby

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wow .. thanks everyone for the positive comments...it was really simple to do and looks way clean.
People, when your done, share your pics...I'd like to see them.

After seeing this, I set mine up the same way (including a grommet). I drilled mine on the small angled section below the hinge. Two layers of metal in that location but very easy to drill.
Yep, it's two layers... but as you said...no big deal.
I did mine below the angle section, so the hinge would not be weakened.

btw do you have any walkthrought for getting the pannels all off so i can run my lines?
I had my panels removed, since I did the linex at the same time. You can attempt to do the coat hanger tip posted above by "in the trees" or follow these steps
1)Remove seat back panel
2)Unbolt seat
3)Remove rear cargo floor panel
4)Remove Sill covers
5)Remove partially rear door jam rubber seal from frame.
6)Remove side panel. Screws at the bottom. Use a nylon prybar.

Takes about 30min and gives you full access to cleanly run the cable and zip tie to main harness.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks Al for the write-up.

One question for ya......

Is there a special grommet you used where the wire feeds into the back door, or did you just get one at Radio Shack/Home Depot/Lowes?

Thanks....
Wilkie

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great write-up, AL. :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

It's been added to the FJ Cruiser Technical Articles - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum. :cheers:
Thanks Steve...glad to contribute.

Thanks Al for the write-up.

One question for ya......

Is there a special grommet you used where the wire feeds into the back door, or did you just get one at Radio Shack/Home Depot/Lowes?

Thanks....
Wilkie

Thanks, I just used a standard grommet that you should be able to get anywhere.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Nice clean job! I will go this route as it would be done like factory!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
He is using a Bandi Mount. The moun provides a surface that will accept the cable and antenna.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you had any issues with the cable getting pinched when the door closes..I routed my cable like you did (at least it looks like I did) and the cable gets pinched each time the door closes.
When I took the pics, I had the cable on the wrong side. I corrected that and thought I mentioned it somewhere. You'll want to correct it before your cable is destroyed. I didn't notice until I had already taken all pics and wanted to close the door....I check the first post and mention it before the pic, if it's not already there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts