Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the employment forum too, but it will likely not be seen there.
If it needs to be moved or deleted, feel free.

Well friends,

I write this with a heavy heart.

I am nearing the end of my life as I know it. I apparently have made such poor choices career wise that no one will hire me here in Nashville. It seems I spent waaaay too long in the car business to have my college degree even seem relevant.

I have been cut off from my child by my ex-wife due to my inability to pay her "Her" child support regularly, not even phone calls. BTW, she makes 60k as the office manager at the Toyota dealership I used to work for. I know my son will be OK, but he needs his dad. I pray that I can be there for him somehow if he needs me.

I've applied for jobs ranging from Bed, Bath and Beyond store manager and Comcast installer all the way down to a $10/hr warehouse worker position. Nothing so far and with my post-divorce bad credit I feel it really limits my options.

I have been optimistically working a straight commission home alarm sales job for a few weeks going basically door to door (which sucks too) and I have to face the music. I can no longer work and get nothing back for my efforts at that one. I have even been applying for general labor jobs, but no one (apparently) believes I would be the right person for it being college educated and all.

I recently gave the FJ back to my former girlfriend who bought it for me and have an 07 Camry financed with TMCC that will be repossessed soon. I stupidly gave them a post dated check to keep my car for a few more days, hoping something would break somehow. Desperation leads a person to do crazy things.

I sincerely thought I was gonna have one of the best years of my life when this year began. I started working out regularly and attending church every Sunday. I tried to do everything with pride in my work and a cheerful heart.

I had a very close (over 2 year) relationship with someone that kept reassuring me that things would work out and that she would always be there to help me if I needed it. She even offered to pay for me to go back to school one night when she was drinking pretty heavily. She was always there for me when I needed her. I was brutally betrayed and stood up for a moral principle called honesty that I would/will not compromise. She dis-owned me after that and will not even return my calls.

I have run out of money and out of time. I probably won't see any of your posts for a long while after next week. I am facing eviction on the 27th. My cell phone will be disconnected in about two days and then I don't really know what to do. I don't even know what will happen to my belongings. I've been down pretty low before but this time I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

I even took a nasty and physically hard job earlier this year cleaning carpet and ventilation systems as a subcontractor, just to try to get by until I could find something else. When I got my first paycheck from that company back in May and took it to the Wal-mart money desk to get it cashed and was told they couldn't cash this company's check. (something told me not to deposit it in my bank account, so I never deposited one of their checks, I always paid a 2% fee and deposited cash) I got a letter today from the check cashing store I used that explained that my payroll check had bounced and I was somehow responsible for paying it. I worked for them again last Saturday from 7am to 6:30pm and after driving to 5 houses and completing the jobs I netted around $55 for my day, which I probably will never get paid for. Good luck with that one.

I surf Craigslist like a fiend and respond quickly to any positions that I think I can do. So far I guess I seem to be over-qualified/disqualified for anything I go for including even general labor jobs.

In talking with one of my sisters and my father tonight, they don't have the ability or means to offer any help. I had a (non-romantic)friend with an empty bedroom that was going to let me stay with her until my situation improved, but that changed today when she told me that her dates would probably not understand and the offer was withdrawn.

I have contributed to folks that were down and out before and still kinda have a hard time admitting to my friends that I need help.

If any of you can offer any charity I would be extremely thankful for any possible advice or help.

I love you guys and will miss you. I've met some good folks on here.

Yes, this is a serious post.

Greg

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Re: RoverGGM is sinking

Greg it was great to have a one on one conversation with you last week. Im so sorry for your situation and if I had a home of my own you would be rooming with me in an instant. You HAVE to keep trying. I know it seems liek everything is falling down around you but you still have so many opportunities out there. You will find work and you will find a future but it will take time. Im sure you will find something very soon. DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!
-your friend

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

ROver my buddy I told you how I feel on the other forum...we have a great group of FJ folks here and other places that will help one way or another....i've always respected you to the fullest and my heart hurts from reading this. Keep your faith brotha there will be better days....without these terrible lows there wouldn't be the highs. WE are all here for you my friend... I love ya bro!! NOW LETS HELP!!! You will have to log on from a wifi connection somewhere in order to see what pans out...or get phone numbers for folks so you can speak with them if you dont have access to the internet. THis will work out....KEEP YOUr HEAD HIGH you are amongst friends~~

·
Texican
8,570 Posts

Greg, I'm sorry to hear that things have been sliding down the slippery slope and seem hopeless but hang in there and keep trying your best, it will get better.

I totally believe you when you say places won't hire you because your over qualified but I have never for the life of me understood that.

Keep you chin up and the rubber on the road and things will come back around.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Alright folks lets help Greg out.....

·
Registered
16 Posts

Rover, I know you don't know me from shinola, since I only have a couple posts here. I'm new to the FJ thing. I am Macleod's husband.
I've always made the offer to people on forums that if they're ever in a desperate situation, they're welcome to stay with us a while if needed.

Check your PM's.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Wow. Greg, I had no idea you were unders that kind of stress. My field is tough with the economy right now too....so I understand the frustation of trying to find work in different areas.

I am willing to step up and help out some too. I have really enjoyed our chats as well.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Greg it was great to have a one on one conversation with you last week. Im so sorry for your situation and if I had a home of my own you would be rooming with me in an instant. You HAVE to keep trying. I know it seems liek everything is falling down around you but you still have so many opportunities out there. You will find work and you will find a future but it will take time. Im sure you will find something very soon. DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!
-your friend
X2. Dowork is absolutly right. Don't give up. you meantioned that you were going back to church. Please continue. Whateven happens don't give up faith. You've proven that your willing to do anything to keep on your feet. Your time will come. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and your going to land back on your feet. Keep trying my friend.

You will be in my prayers.

-Brandon

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

All people who post on this thread will be forwarded a message to help our friend. Anything will do it... we are setting up a paypal account and will be asking for donations! More info to follow... THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Jake

·
Registered
467 Posts

Rover,

Although we have never met or spoken, I have read many of your posts for the past couple of years. Please PM with an address so I can mail you a money order (not a check!) to help in a small way. Stories like yours remind me of how fragile life is and how things can change quickly. Please don't lose hope! It's not how many times you get knocked down that count, it's how many times you get back up and fight!

You are part of a community of people with a soul beyond that of just owning FJs. There are 20K plus members of this forum and if everyone helps in a small way perhaps we can help you back on your feet.

The economy is cyclical and the auto industry can be the most vicious, brutal part of it. Just don't blame yourself for what's come down, but definitely move forward towards getting back with your son. Ultimately family is the most important thing we have!

Please PM me with your address and other information!

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts

Sorry about the really bum streak Greg. The job market here is pretty strong. What's your field other than car sales? I always see ads for that in our paper but I'm sure you are looking for something different or you'd be doing that now. In any case you shouldn't be without a roof. I can always talk Mrs. Rat into putting a friend up for a couple of weeks and I'm sure that's the case with a lot of folks much closer to your area. A couple of weeks here, a couple of weeks there, and pretty soon you have a paycheck and the rent for a room in an apartment of your own again. I know it looks bad when your in it. I moved to Utah with a couple of hundred in my pocket, no job and very few skills 18 years ago after a nasty divorce in CA. A month in a friends basement and a fresh outlook and I was on my way back. You can do it!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Greg do you have a paypal account?

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts

Greg so sorry to here this. :( I am moving into a new place on the first its a one bed house but you are more then welcome to come on out to SoCal and crash there. Let me know, its an open offer my friend.

Remember there is a Light to focus on, don't loose hope and keep your head up.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

OK, i have my own paypal account set up but dont know how to make one for donations. If Greg can make an account we can simply send it to him. I tried making one with a new email for him but its still linked to my account and it wont let me fully activate it. Anyone have any tips to make this easy?

·
Registered
534 Posts

It would be helpful if someone who has done this type of thing pops in and answers some questions or picks up the ball.

I know Rover can set up his own personal account, the problem is there is a $500 maximum per 30 days. Also, not sure how he can access the money, other than bills that accept paypal payments, without a paypal debit card.

Even with a debit card there are restrictions, so while that may be the easiest way for us to send money his way, it may make it difficult on his end to withdraw the money in times and amounts he needs.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts

Maybe this will help in the tight pinch of time...

I talked to Greg a little earlier tonight on the phone...

Going by the fact that I consider this man a very personal friend of mine I made the offer of taking money directly and dropping it into his account at a local branch of the bank he uses tomorrow....

That said - if anyone wants to paypal some money to me - I will take the same amount that you send and put it into the account as I go tomorrow and this will pretty much give him instant access to the money and remove any delay in Paypal doing the deposit...

If this is something anyone is interested in please PM me and I will send you my paypal address.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts

You are a good man Matt!

1 - 20 of 327 Posts