Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my 30k service, minus the tranny flush. I put Royal Purple in the motor, both diffs and t-case. I have always used RP in the transmissions of all my cars and have been very happy, so I bought some to use in the FJ. I Bought their Max ATF and planned on putting it in today, until I read about the fluid that is supposed to be used as stated by Toyota.

My question is, can I get by with putting the RP in my truck? Has anyone used anything other than the Toyota, Amsoil or Redline?

I don't want to have a grenade go off under the truck because I used the wrong fluid, but I also know that sometimes manufacturers use these kind of things as a scheme to get your money.

Yes, I did use the search function first.

Thanks in advance.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Unless something has changed, the transmission fluid is special and must come from Toyota. Something about the additives... no other brands have the right stuff and will cause damage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stick to the Toyota "life time" trans fluid. if you use anything thing else your SOL. I inquired about the RP ATF and I was told by RP that it is like the life time fluid but it will void your warranty. IPT also told me that in all there A series transmission upgrades that they also use the life time fluid. I change my trans fluid at around 60k.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Unless something has changed, the transmission fluid is special and must come from Toyota. Something about the additives... no other brands have the right stuff and will cause damage.
Your statement is incorrect! The fluid MUST be as 1911 stated "Low-viscosity" or "WS". I'm using the AMSOIL ws version in mine and I have several thousand miles on it with no problems.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thats what I thought. The Max ATF is apparently just a synthetic version of standard automatic transmission fluid. Nowhere does it say that it the new low-viscosity kind. Looks like it's back to the parts store. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
...then something has changed since I read about trans fluid, thanks for correcting me guys! :)

This forum has all the answers!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Royal purple is known to cause Toyota trannys to fail. it's fine in the diffs and engine just not the tranny. This is coming from a friend of mine who has been desert racing and building toyota trucks for many years.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna go with a different brand.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My understanding is that the fluid is good to 100K and that there iis a special procedure that needs to be followed, including the temp of the tranny. Good luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My understanding is that the fluid is good to 100K and that there iis a special procedure that needs to be followed, including the temp of the tranny. Good luck.:cheers:
That's what Toyota says but after seeing pics some of the others posted of their ATF after just 50k, there's no way I'm letting the stock fluid stay in my truck that long. I'm on my iPhone right now but I'll post up some links later. It's really surprises me Toyota would recommend that long an interval.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Growing up in A dealership, Always having A racecar or streetrod in the garge, I cant remember the last time I ran plain oil in any of my rides... But since getting in to these threads and reading all the this and thats. I wonder if the gain is worth the money or risk everyone seems to say is there with running Synthetics in Toyota's....I also have trouble with the "lifetime" fluids they claim are in these vehicles today......
So what is the right answer?:thinkerg:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a wild guess, but I think Toyota spent a lot of time & money developing the WS fluid for the benifit of longevity, durability & shift quality of their transmissions. And they spent no time testing Royal Purple or other aftermarket fluids for another companies. They know what works in their transmissions!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a wild guess, but I think Toyota spent a lot of time & money developing the WS fluid for the benifit of longevity, durability & shift quality of their transmissions. And they spent no time testing Royal Purple or other aftermarket fluids for another companies. They know what works in their transmissions!!
And the Prius fiasco proved just how good their R&D can be at times.

Just because they didn't test a certain fluid during development, doe not mean you can't use it. I'm not going to us the RP, but I will use either Amsoil or Redline.

I'm sure they spend lots of time and money for R&D but Toyota parts are a rip-off. Yesterday I checked the price for the cabin filter. $20. They're crazy if they think I'm gonna pay that much for a piece of cloth/paper. Same thing goes for the trans fluid. I'm not paying an arm and a leg for their stuff if I can get something cheaper that works just as well.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
That's what Toyota says but after seeing pics some of the others posted of their ATF after just 50k, there's no way I'm letting the stock fluid stay in my truck that long. I'm on my iPhone right now but I'll post up some links later. It's really surprises me Toyota would recommend that long an interval.
I had Toyota_Tech change my fluid at about 43000 miles to the Amsoil WS fluid. He told me the original fluid was almost burnt. I also would not leave the original fluid in for 100K miles. I will be changing mine once a year as I drive 30,000 + a year. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Amsoil? I've looked everywhere and I can't find it. I would prefer not to have it shipped. Thanks

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I ordered from a forum member and then paid $20 bucks to be a preferred customer. You can go to their website and do this, but yea I have it shipped, its really not that big of a deal. They ship pretty quick, but I can understand the shipping issue if in an apt or dorm. As a matter of fact I'm fixing to order some more oil and filters in the next day or so. However, you can google amsoil dealers in your area and then call them to see if they have any in stock or have them order it for you and then pick it up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts