Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been other threads that have touched on this topic before, however it is bugging me and I need more information... Here is the condition: When the vehicle is in motion - over 30 km/h (Canadian, eh!) and I put the transmission in neutral (I have the 6 speed manual) the rpm's will not drop below 1300 until I come to a complete stop. I have anecdotal information from another 6 sp MT owner that his does not do this. What I would like to know is: Are there any other MT FJ'S out there that do not suffer from this condition? If your rpm's will drop right down to 700 at any speed in neutral please let me know what your build date is. Perhaps we can narrow this down with input from MT owners. Oh yeah, the Dealer says that the computer does not show any codes - so everything must be O.K. Thanks in advance for your responses.

'07 FJ, K&N CAI up front and Magna Flow out back.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
That´s interesting. I have noticed that the RPM are very slow to come down, but I have not notice what you just described, probably because I have never just let the car cruise on neutral (why would you do it?) But any way, I am going to take mine right now for a spin and I will let you know.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
more reading:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ual-transmission-6-speed-idle-rpm-crisis.html

The computer makes the R's climb for several reasons,
to increase pressure in the hydrolic controled devises
such as steering, to increase electrical power do to
power useage or surge, to run the AC compressure to
cool to your selected temp', and also to help with the
shifting of the MT6, unlike the old days when the
driver would have to feather the throttle and clutch
to pefection in order to get a smooth shift... IMO....
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/21866-rpm-hang-problem.html

AND from Toyotanation:

My '06 4-cylinder 5-speed (Tacoma) does the same thing from 4th to 5th. Hasn't bothered me enough to complain too much, but never saw this with 3 previous 5-speeds.

Tacogrande said using a URD MAF calibrator eliminated this issue (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...=174366&page=2, post #17) with its baseline program, so I gotta believe it's just a problem with our default/factory MAF tune. If I can fix it cheap and easy, I will, but it doesn't bother me enough at the moment to act on it.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I´ll be darn, I just took mine for a spin and It does stay at 1000 RPM. I cannot think of a reasonable explanation. The quote about the power steering, AC and all that is not good enough, since the same things apply when idling at a complete stop. Older cars used a vacuum activated device to increase RPM when idling and the AC kicked in for example, newer cars the computer just adjust the RPM so that they don´t fall when the AC kicks in. It is just weird.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
It has an electronic throttle plate which means when you step on the go pedal, it sends a signal to the ECM, which in turn sends a signal to the Throttle Plate motor. The reason for the hang is typically emissions. You don't get a quick drop in an automatic because it's in gear when it's moving so the engine rpm changes more slowly. In a manual, you can be at 6,000 rpm one second, then between gears let your foot off the accelerator and the engine will want to go back to idle speed but the ECM won't allow that much of a change in such a short time frame. At least, that is my understanding of it.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That's pretty much it.. That's the reason "they just don't sound the same" when going through the gears anymore. Ron

It has an electronic throttle plate which means when yo step on the go pedal, it sends a signal to the ECM, which in turn sends a signal to the Throttle Plate motor. The reason for the hang is typically emissions. You don't get a quick drop in an automatic because it's in gear when it's moving so the engine rpm changes more slowly. In a manual, you can be at 6,000 rpm one second, then between gears let your foot off the accelerator and the engine will want to go back to idle speed but the ECM won't allow that much of a change in such a short time frame. At least, that is my understanding of it.

DEWFPO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts