Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all...i saw this question asked in another thread, but i didn't see a conclusive answer there: on a brand-new 2011 FJ with 4WD, is a RR DIFF LOCK button in the button panel proof that the vehicle has a locking rear diff? because i've searched the dealer's description of my new FJ (i've put a deposit on her but haven't yet met her in person) and there's no mention of a locking diff, but the photos on the dealer's site show that there is a RR DIFF LOCK button in the panel, and all evidence indicates that the photos i'm looking at are indeed of the very truck i'm buying. i was disappointed that i didn't find the locking diff in the descriptive text, but the button in that photo gives me hope. so do 2011's without locking rear diffs ever come with those buttons installed?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I would say if it has the button you SHOULD have the locking rear diff. When you go for your test drive put it in 4 low and push the button the indicator light on the instrument panel should light up. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I agree that common sense would indicate that the presence of the switch confirms the presence of the locker. Ask your dealer to confirm the rear locker.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks, ridgerunner and snafu - i will do those things (keeping my fingers crossed til then!). sephcm - nope, sorry. i haven't taken delivery of the truck yet and it's a couple states away!

UPDATE: i've just done a VIN search on vinquery.com - which i don't recommend, as the report i got contained no VIN-specific information, but rather just a list of what's standard and what's optional on a 4WD FJC with a manual transmission. in my case, however, and provided its information is accurate, it did tell me what i wanted to know; apparently a locking diff is standard on '11 4WD FJCs with 6-speeds, and optional on those with ATs. which means i do have a locker. woohoo!! A-TRAC, here i come!

ANOTHER UPDATE: i've just used the Build Your Toyota thingy on Toyota's website to verify, and yes, folks, it's true: all 2011 4x4 FJ Cruisers with MTs come with a locking rear diff standard. again, verily i say unto you: woohoo!! :D

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
x2 atrac hack, don't have the dealer do it, can you say "arm and a leg"

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep - I've been lurking on these forums long enough to have picked up on the A-TRAC hack and some other goodies - I've already ordered all the parts to add the multi-information display myself too. boy, if buying an FJ is fun, buying an FJ that's way more capable than you thought is funner still. and knowing how to flesh it out thanks to all the great people and info in this forum is, how you say, da bomb. :D

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
it did tell me what i wanted to know; apparently a locking diff is standard on '11 4WD FJCs with 6-speeds, and optional on those with ATs. which means i do have a locker. woohoo!! A-TRAC, here i come!\
ALL manuals of ALL years have the rear locker.

Also, do not do the A-TRAC hack.
The A-TRAC hack is to allow A-TRAC to work together with the rear locker. The only vehicles where you would possibly need to do this on is early built 2007s. All later models allow both to function together.

Do, however, buy and install the A-TRAC switch, as that is all you need to have A-TRAC since you have a locker.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Also, do not do the A-TRAC hack.
The A-TRAC hack is to allow A-TRAC to work together with the rear locker. The only vehicles where you would possibly need to do this on is early built 2007s. All later models allow both to function together.

Do, however, buy and install the A-TRAC switch, as that is all you need to have A-TRAC since you have a locker.

:cheers:
aha - i see. nice. and that's very good to know about the A-TRAC hack. actually, i thought when people referred to "the A-TRAC hack" they were talking about just putting in the switch, and that they probably called the actual A-TRAC hack by some other name. but now i'm clued in. and that's great to know about the hack no longer being necessary. i don't at all mind having the functionality without having to do the hack.

my A-TRAC switch, however, is on order. ;)

a thousand thanks for clearing all that up for me, Layonnn. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
792 Posts
Does anyone know if the dash light "confirmation" is reliable? What I mean is, I can't really hear the solenoid "click" when I lock my diff so WHAT triggers the confirmation light on the dash? A sensor IN the diff or on the locker mechanism?

I KNOW when 4x4 is engaged as you can easily tell by feedback from the steering wheel when the front diff is engaged...

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Does anyone know if the dash light "confirmation" is reliable? What I mean is, I can't really hear the solenoid "click" when I lock my diff so WHAT triggers the confirmation light on the dash? A sensor IN the diff or on the locker mechanism?

I KNOW when 4x4 is engaged as you can easily tell by feedback from the steering wheel when the front diff is engaged...
My guess would be yes, that the position of the diff tells the light to stay solid. It is pretty reliable and would be pretty darn hard to fake.

You can just as easily tell if the rear locker is engaged. All you need to do is turn the steering wheel and drive forward. Lean your head out the window and look at the rear DS tire. It will look as though it is making a jerky motion across the ground and slipping in place.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My guess would be yes, that the position of the diff tells the light to stay solid. It is pretty reliable and would be pretty darn hard to fake.

You can just as easily tell if the rear locker is engaged. All you need to do is turn the steering wheel and drive forward. Lean your head out the window and look at the rear DS tire. It will look as though it is making a jerky motion across the ground and slipping in place.
yeah that's pretty much the way I confirm whether my rear diff is locked, I was just curious as to the mechanism

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i realize now that one reason i didn't know this is that a locking rear diff is listed as one of the features of the optional Off-Road Package. so does that mean people who buy the Off-Road Package are paying for the locking rear diff twice? :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i realize now that one reason i didn't know this is that a locking rear diff is listed as one of the features of the optional Off-Road Package. so does that mean people who buy the Off-Road Package are paying for the locking rear diff twice? :confused:
No. Just because all manuals have the rear locker does not mean that you pay for it twice or that it was "included" you just can't get a manual without a rear locker.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. Just because all manuals have the rear locker does not mean that you pay for it twice or that it was "included" you just can't get a manual without a rear locker.
hmm. well then i hope they charge less to add the off-road package to a truck that already has one of its components installed as standard equipment than they do to add it to a truck that doesn't have already have the locker.

got too much else to do today to research it - among other things, gotta go to the bank and get a check so i can pick up my FJ tomorrow. :bigthumb: but i am gonna look into it. unless somebody already has and can satisfy my curiosity.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
hmm. well then i hope they charge less to add the off-road package to a truck that already has one of its components installed as standard equipment than they do to add it to a truck that doesn't have already have the locker.

got too much else to do today to research it - among other things, gotta go to the bank and get a check so i can pick up my FJ tomorrow. :bigthumb: but i am gonna look into it. unless somebody already has and can satisfy my curiosity.
All you need to do is look at the window sticker. IIRC, the locker option is ~400. Simply look at the sticker and see if it is on there anywhere outside of the offroad package.
It won't be, but just to be sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts