Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this site and thought someone might be interested in these coolers or a tumbler. They have a comparison video of their cooler and a Yeti doing a 10 ice test and they seem to perform pretty good and at 1/2 the price and with actual sizes such as a 65qrt that holds 65qrt instead of 57qrt or 52qrt.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Not RTIC, but we picked up Bison Coolers, formerly Brute, after seeing a model at Jamboree last year. They are stout and I personally like them a lot. And, they're a lot less expensive than Yeti, but the quality is top-tier

Check them out here
https://www.reddirtoffroad.com/bison-coolers

Here's a comparison video:

They also have a lot of awesome accessories for the coolers, like full size stickers, travel wagons, seat tops, etc. I haven't gotten those up on the site yet, but we carry them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Some competition for Yeti would be good. I love mine but its crazy expensive.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's a great review. It's too bad these things cost so much. I like the RTIC in the first post but if I order one today, it doesn't ship until June. Yeah...I don't think so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll be getting an Orca cooler soon (got a great deal on it), anyone have any experience with them? Hoping to put it to the test at Windrock in a few weeks.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another contender in the high end cooler market and it's also made in the USA in TN. Orca is the name. They have several sizes and the size is also the rated capacity ie a 40 is a 40 quart and not just a model number. I've watched a few videos with cooler comparisons and it's been at the top end of all of them and seems to be a really good cooler at a decent price. It's still up there in price compared to some, but it's also a bigger cooler in comparison to others in the same "class" as mentioned above with actual capacity vs model number. They also have accessories for them such as a basket that sits up top inside, a wrap for the outside with Molle attachments for different pouches or whatever, and for the bigger ones a wheel kit. They are also bear proof certified. Lifetime warranty and several colors to choose from.

ORCA Coolers - Made in the U.S. by US?

This is the 20 quart and it's the only one with the big metal handle.

This is the 26 quart and it's what all of the bigger sizes look like.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I originally wanted a yeti, but the price is so much better on these so I went ahead and ordered one. Yes it will take a few months to get here, but I think it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I originally wanted a yeti, but the price is so much better on these so I went ahead and ordered one. Yes it will take a few months to get here, but I think it'll be worth it.
Subscribed. Interested to see how you like it DESERTT. I've been eyeing these for some time and it seems like there's a lot of people waiting but not many people that actually have them in hand. They certainly look great on paper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been looking at coolers lately myself for family camping trips this spring/summer. I've been eyeing the Rtic coolers myself, but stumbled across this new brand on Facebook of all places the other day. They look pretty nice, have some cool accessories, and seem reasonably priced as well.

http://kuercoolers.com/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
The Orca's looked great until I checked the price, wow... Luckily I got my Yeti used, can't see spending $200+ to keep drinks cool and ya the Yeti keeps things cool a little longer but I can't see spending that kind of money, its not $$$$$ better.
Dump in ice the night before, Freeze your steaks and used large frozen bottles of water and a coleman cooler will work just fine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with using a less expensive cooler when you are going to be on a 2-3 day trip.... However; when you are gone for 7-10 days and replacement ice is a 2+ hour drive, my Yeti's rock... I like being able to use dry ice in the Yeti... Locked Yeti's do a great job keeping critters out of your food.. I do have to admit that I use my $40.00 Igloo Max Cold 50 Qt. cooler 90% of the time... I have even used dry ice in it with no problems. I did not let the ice touch the plastic on the cooler though.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About a month ago I ordered a 20qrt ORCA cooler from Amazon, unfortunately it was listed on the tracking as delivered, but nowhere to be found. Amazon took care of it and gave me a refund so I ordered another only this time I got the 26qrt as they were out of the 20qrt. I took the cooler straight from the box and sat it by my chair in the living room. I put three 1L Nalgene bottles with ice and iced tea the I poured straight from the McDonald's cup when I bought them into the Nalgene bottles. Then I took 2 bags of ice and split them up into 1 gallon Ziploc bags which gave me 8 bags of ice. I used 1 bag of ice each night for adding to my glass along with other iced tea leaving the 3 bottles in the cooler. After 5 days there was a bit of water in the bags which were still about 3/4 full of ice. After 7 days the two remaining bags had about 2/3 of a bag of ice with some water. At 9 days the last bag was pulled out and it was about 1/4 ice with water and the bottles of tea were still cold. Not to bad since I didn't pre-chill the cooler or add any more ice and I didn't remove the water. I normally use an Engel fridge in my vehicles, but decided to get a smaller, easier to handle cooler and will be pulling the Engel out of the truck. I don't take the longer trips like I used to that needed the amenities provided by the Engel. Most of my trips are day trips now and I will only have some drinks, ice, and maybe lunch stuff for that day. The fridge will find a new home in a trailer I'm looking to have built for camping along with the second one I have sitting in the house. I would recommend the ORCA as being a really nice cooler.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not RTIC, but we picked up Bison Coolers, formerly Brute, after seeing a model at Jamboree last year. They are stout and I personally like them a lot. And, they're a lot less expensive than Yeti, but the quality is top-tier

I second this. Bison is higher end than RTIC (beefier components, better seal, better quality material), without the crazy cost of Yeti. They are also made in the USA, unlike the Chinese made RTIC coolers. For sure check them out if you are in the market. :rocker:

·
Registered
456 Posts
After reading this The Big Chill: Overland Journal?s Cooler Test | Expedition Portal, and several other articles over the last 6 months I decided to go with a Canyon Cooler 55 Quart for my camping needs. I'll be going from Orlando Fl to the Rocky Mountain State Park in Colorado in June and needed something to keep everything cool for the trip, and while I'm camping in the park for the week. These coolers got great reviews everywhere so I'm trying it out. The 55 quart fits perfect behind the rear seat, just about touching the rear of the seat and the door and being the same width as half of the rear seat. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm expecting good things. I especially liked the price tag. The Yeti 50 quart costs $420. The 55 Quart Canyon Cooler cost $297.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts