Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
After reading this The Big Chill: Overland Journal?s Cooler Test | Expedition Portal, and several other articles over the last 6 months I decided to go with a Canyon Cooler 55 Quart for my camping needs. I'll be going from Orlando Fl to the Rocky Mountain State Park in Colorado in June and needed something to keep everything cool for the trip, and while I'm camping in the park for the week. These coolers got great reviews everywhere so I'm trying it out. The 55 quart fits perfect behind the rear seat, just about touching the rear of the seat and the door and being the same width as half of the rear seat. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm expecting good things. I especially liked the price tag. The Yeti 50 quart costs $420. The 55 Quart Canyon Cooler cost $297.

That's nice the way it's more "squared" off than the wide top/narrow bottom with latches or whatever protruding on some of the others.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's nice the way it's more "squared" off than the wide top/narrow bottom with latches or whatever protruding on some of the others.
Agreed. I was originally looking at the Pelican coolers because they received good reviews and the price was decent, but there is so much wasted space with the coolers. This one is a nice tight package.

·
Registered
45 Posts
well looks like the rtic 45 showed up on the doorsteps. I ordered 4 weeks ago!
Will post mandatory pics in the fj later :rocker:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Agreed. I was originally looking at the Pelican coolers because they received good reviews and the price was decent, but there is so much wasted space with the coolers. This one is a nice tight package.
I too was going for the Pelican as I own a few other Pelican cases buuuuuut…this looks pretty good. I wonder what the build quality on these is like? I really like how rugged and solid my other Pelican cases feel especially the hinges/latches when opening and closing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The cooler itself feels like the same quality as the Pelicans and Yeti's I've been around. The hinge is nice and hidden and out of the way. The latches aren't the super strong Pelican style, but they will do just fine to hold the lid closed on the cooler. Expedition Portal did drop tests on it and it held up just fine. The lid seals up nice and tight as does the drain plug. I should be testing it out this weekend for the first time so I'll let you know how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Was there a report a little while ago of the (or at least some of) Pelican ice box lid or something being slightly warped or somehow defective that allowed cold air to escape? I seem to remember a story here a few months ago along those lines.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Anyone know if any of the coolers are bear proof?
The Rtic is bear resistant according to their site.

The ORCA is bear proof according to their site and it has two holes for padlocks on the front corners.

Not sure about the others.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Cool, ORCA it is!
Thanks, J.
I've been happy with mine so far. I've got the 26qrt and I've only had it around a month. I'm using it to keep 1 gallon Ziploc bags of ice for my iced tea by my chair in the living room and it's worked pretty darn good. I haven't had a chance to test it out in the truck yet since we are still getting snow and freezing temperatures. It seems to be well made and parts are available for it. I got mine off of Amazon and got free shipping and it was a bit cheaper than the ORCA site. They don't have the accessories on Amazon that I've seen though. On the ORCA site you can get a basket for like sandwiches that sits in the top of the cooler, parts, decals, Molle panels and bags, etc.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
523 Posts
RTIC is running a 25% off special right now. I have their 45 and 65 and they are without a doubt worth every penny. I had a Yeti that I picked up from a forum member on another forum for a good deal and it performed no better than the RTIC 45 I had at the time. I sold it and bought the RTIC 65 during a sale and was able to turn a profit.

Just wanted to put the word out about the sale. Free shipping on domestic orders.

-S

·
Registered
523 Posts
The Rtic is bear resistant according to their site.

The ORCA is bear proof according to their site and it has two holes for padlocks on the front corners.

Not sure about the others.
I havent checked the details about bear proof or bear resistant, but the RTIC has provisions for padlocks as well.

Just putting the info out there.

-S

21 - 36 of 36 Posts