Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas im going to get a rtt the only thing im debating is which.I gotta be honest i only take road trips on my vacations which is twice a year a week at a time.The wife and i love camping so after checking out some different options of the rtt out there.I plan on getting a chinese knockoff since it will only be used twice a year and when not in use i can take it off the fj and store in my garage.ANY INPUT ON THESE RTT there really a way better option for my budget i just wonder if theyre just crap.. Any one know of the quality of these things and what im planning on using them for is worth getting one?????:FRO:

·
Desert Moderator
5,831 Posts
My experience - buy once, cry once.
If you want a quick setup/teardown, then maybe buy a good quality ground tent or swag rather than a poor quality RTT.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Uhhh ... you have provided zero information.

Specifically, which tent(s) are you looking at?

And how much $$ will your "budget" cover?

A cheap Chinese knockoff will be junk, both in materials & construction.

I ended up with a Maggiolina Extreme hardshell tent, expensive but by far the best modification I've made to the FJ.

After sleeping on the ground for 50 years, the Maggiolina literally provides the comfort of my bed at home, and you can be snug in bed 2 minutes after you shut off the engine. Rain-proof, wind-proof, freedom from mud, rocks poking you in the kidney at 2 AM, freedom from ground-based critters, etc., etc.

You may think you'll only use it twice a year, but once you experience the comfort and convenience it offers, you will be constantly looking for ways to take off for a weekend, or even for just an overnight "change of scenery", especially if you are on good terms with your wife.

·
Desert Moderator
5,831 Posts

I ended up with a Maggiolina Extreme hardshell tent, expensive but by far the best modification I've made to the FJ.

After sleeping on the ground for 50 years, the Maggiolina literally provides the comfort of my bed at home, and you can be snug in bed 2 minutes after you shut off the engine. Rain-proof, wind-proof, freedom from mud, rocks poking you in the kidney at 2 AM, freedom from ground-based critters, etc., etc.

You may think you'll only use it twice a year, but once you experience the comfort and convenience it offers, you will be constantly looking for ways to take off for a weekend, or even for just an overnight "change of scenery", especially if you are on good terms with your wife.
And if she locks you out of the house after getting home after a night with the boys, then you have an additional option over the back seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

yes i thought i provided some info i was looking at the hard shell tents that pop up ina jiff.since we have no kids itll just be the wife and i inside the tent.i guess my budget could be like 2500 i saw some that were up to 4k and yea i cant swing it. you are right that i would use almost all weekends off to go beach camping so it will be used more.

the ones i was looking at besides the knockoffs were the roofnests they seem around my budget for a rtt.

i saw one on craigslist for like a grand its an autohome i think.

still debating and seeing whats out there

·
Registered
693 Posts
Got any links to the ones you're looking at? I once tried the smittybilt RTT. It's not a hard shell type. My experience along with many many online reviews are really positive. I got rid of it because of the weight and height on top really affecting me during off-roading. It was fine on road. I got an Oz-tent RV4 with cots instead. It's a very fast ground tent but it's no where close to the convenience and comfort of the RTT.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
yes i thought i provided some info i was looking at the hard shell tents that pop up ina jiff.since we have no kids itll just be the wife and i inside the tent.i guess my budget could be like 2500 i saw some that were up to 4k and yea i cant swing it. you are right that i would use almost all weekends off to go beach camping so it will be used more.

the ones i was looking at besides the knockoffs were the roofnests they seem around my budget for a rtt.

i saw one on craigslist for like a grand its an autohome i think.

still debating and seeing whats out there
The oldest manufacturer of hard-shell RTTs is Autohome, and one of their product lines is "Maggiolina", with several sub models.

These don't come up for sale as "used" very often because people find them so desirable that they just don't sell them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Tuff stuff RTT. I’m $1000 into it and have used it over 20 times. So far so good.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 2016 James Baroud EVO hardshell. It is very high quality and comes with a thick memory foam mattress, solar ventilation fan, solar light, and near 360 degree visibility. I originally convinced my wife we needed it for our Yellowstone trip due to bears. Now she loves it for all sorts of camping opportunities.

They go for around $3500 or more new, but I bought mine from the show floor as a previous year's model at a significant discount. The owner also threw in an extra OEM FJ roofrack that was taking up space. I sold the rack to further offset the cost. I don't know if one could justify paying full price for one, but if you can get a Baroud used or at a discount, I do recommend it.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,205 Posts
Invest in a good qaulity known name, they are about used but as you’ll see still expensive...but when you come to sell it on you’ll get your money back. If you buy a cheap copy that won’t be the case and you may find it leaks or something and it will be money wasted.

Bear in mind that for best fitment you need to swap out the OE rack too for a flat rack.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Either Alu-Cab or James Baroud in my opinion. If you are going to want an aluminum shell then you'll have to put up the big bucks. If you stick with fiberglass then you have more options and price points but the JB will be your best option in this category in my opinion.

I would consider Autohome as my 3rd option but I haven't personally played with or slept in one to give you an honest opinion. I've owned both the JB and the Alu-Cab.

Also agree that you should factor in the cost of an aftermarket roof rack for low profile and stability.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I found an Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 for $750 locally a month ago. I have seen other tents and this thing is very very over engineered!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have a ARB Simson II with the bonus room. i like it well made . i like the enclosed room when the weather is bad and you can change clothes standing up if you are some were you need privacy. that being said hard shells are nice and the one thing i like about them much faster to put up and take down . they do take up more of the roof rack space but they are also much lower profile when closed. i would not buy a knock off.

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,831 Posts
I have a ARB Simson II with the bonus room. i like it well made . i like the enclosed room when the weather is bad and you can change clothes standing up if you are some were you need privacy. that being said hard shells are nice and the one thing i like about them much faster to put up and take down . they do take up more of the roof rack space but they are also much lower profile when closed. i would not buy a knock off.
How long does it take to put the downstairs room up on the ARB? They have a good deal on them at my local ARB store...

·
Registered
873 Posts
How long does it take to put the downstairs room up on the ARB? They have a good deal on them at my local ARB store...
I can answer this in regards to my previous CVT Mt Shasta tent. I was actually able to leave the annex room attached to the tent, fold and store it all under the cover. In that regards all it took was the time to roll up the door screen and fabric before storing it.

In a perfect environment with no wind, good working zippers and not always pinching fabric in the zipper, I'd say I could put the annex room on by myself in less than 10min. I also left the floor zipped in as well. ** Caveat, this does not include staking it down ** You can either just hit the corners or put every stake in every tie down loop depending on your hurry. To zip in the floor took an extra 5min. In all honestly it's not that cumbersome and provides a great changing room, bathroom area (#1's only of course), and dressing room. We've also used it in conjunction with a Mr Buddy heater for a really nice and cozy hang out area or to keep the tent warm-er at night.

I really don't have much criticism for the annex room and it really makes the RTT experience much nicer. I will say that it needs to be staked down though and it can flood the floor in a big rain if you don't keep the floor zipper off the ground.

It took less time than my current Shadow Awning Wall Kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I have had an Autohome Over camp that I bought in Germany in the mid 90's still going strong. I have replaced the cover a couple times but the tent is still in perfect condition. They are the oldest rooftop tent company and your can get an Italian made overcamp for $1500. I paid considerable less but have definitely gotten $1500 worth of use out of mine. It has big windows and they make a quilted winter insulator for them. I also have an Eaze Awn with room that came off of a Conquerer trailer and like the Overcamp better

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I can put it up in 10 mins. after you do it a couple of times it gets a lot easier. i also just stake the corners unless it is very windy. the arb does not have a floor. never thought about trying to leave it on will explore this when i put the RTT back on and see if the cover will fit over it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts