Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my garage full of woodworking and camping gear, there's no room for my FJ. Was wondering, if I left my upcoming Autohome purchase on the FJ all summer, is it at risk of theft sitting in my driveway? Any way to secure it a bit better than stock? (note: haven't picked the model yet & will likely be putting on a Bajarack to go with it).

Anyone can steal anything if they really wanted it, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make that as difficult as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
My Autohome Maggiolina has been outside on my roof 24/7 since March of 2008, and no one has messed with it.

Sure, they are stealable, and a pair of punks could do it in under ten minutes.
I pay my insurance company extra for all of the major mods I have done to my rig just for this.

There may be a way to use covers over the nuts that secure the hardware to the rack, I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but mine doesn't have tusks

·
Registered
729 Posts
strip the bolts thats your using, will make it very hard for someone to steal your rtt....makes it hard to get of yourself but if you have to fight to get it of so will they

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I'd like to see someone try to steal my RTT... ****ing thing takes forever to remove even if you had a circular saw :lol:. It'd be more worth it to steal the FJ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Invest in a motion detecting spotlight and park under it. If it is stolen your insurance should cover it. Use tamper proof bolts to secure it to your FJ. You may have thought of this already.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are anti theft lock nuts available. TuffNut Security Kit on the autohome website.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I have the motion lights and good neighbors. Actually part of my worry isn't just theft but some fool thinking it's an oversized Thule and trying to crowbar it open to get at what he thinks is gear inside. Will look into those Tuffnuts, thanks CA.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I have been asked more than once how many skis I have in my gear box on the roof.
When I tell them it is my penthouse, they then get very curious, and that is why I carry Autohome brochures in the rig with me :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep, we need big decals to put on the shell that says "It's my PENTHOUSE!":lol: Or "NOT a Thule"...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts