Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used a Front Runner roof rack for my Maggiolina. It's been solid as a rock, but don't expect the mounting to get easier as the tent sits much closer to the roof.

I use good speed wrenches and an 18" ratchet. Once you learn how to abuse your hands getting in there, it's not as bad. :whistle:

Edit: I saw you posted in another thread concerning Corey's RTT on his OEM rack. I know he eventually went with a Baja Rack if my memory serves me correctly.

17.JPG IMG_1076.JPG

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Yeah, you need an low-profile, aftermarket, aluminum flat rack like a Prinsu or FrontRunner.

Your tent is mounted much higher than it could be if you had a low profile rack (more aero drag and wind noise), and you would have to find a place to park with a very nose-down attitude to get the RTT level. Once correctly mounted, removing the RTT will NOT be a 10-minute task.

When correctly mounted, the RTT is dead level when the vehicle is dead level.

Prinsu rack with Maggiolina Extreme:
Sequoia - Arya & FJ.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you need an low-profile, aftermarket, aluminum flat rack like a Prinsu or FrontRunner.

Your tent is mounted much higher than it could be if you had a low profile rack (more aero drag and wind noise), and you would have to find a place to park with a very nose-down attitude to get the RTT level. Once correctly mounted, removing the RTT will NOT be a 10-minute task.

View attachment 1131854
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

View attachment 1131854
Is there quick-release action?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
To mount the RTT securely enough to withstand hundreds of miles of rugged off-road shock and vibration, emergency on-road braking, etc. it would be difficult to come up with a simple, reliable, and cost-effective quick-release mounting system. Mechanically, it could be done, but it would be expensive.

My Maggiolina is mounted to the Prinsu rack at 6 places; 10 fasteners need to be completely removed to disconnect the RTT from the rack.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you seen the front runner quick release? Can you send a pick off your set up? Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
To mount the RTT securely enough to withstand hundreds of miles of rugged off-road shock and vibration, emergency on-road braking, etc. it would be difficult to come up with a simple, reliable, and cost-effective quick-release mounting system. Mechanically, it could be done, but it would be expensive.

My Maggiolina is mounted to the Prinsu rack at 6 places; 10 fasteners need to be completely removed to disconnect the RTT from the rack.
Front Runner does make a quick release system for the Autohome, J/B RTT's. It would cost about 300.00 for the quick release's themselves and the special adapter bars needed.

I'm not sure I would trust it in the long run and it only mounts in 4 places.

Autohome themselves recommends mounting the RTT to 3 load bars when used for off road use. I'm in total agreement with FJtest on mounting these tents. Evasive lane changes and emergency stops put a REAL load on the mounting, let alone the forces involved in off roading.

Bolt that puppy down hard in 6 places.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Also how do you mount with such a tight space? It was a bit difficult with the OEM rack having to unbolt the rack to shift our hands underneath it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Front Runner does make a quick release system for the Autohome, J/B RTT's. It would cost about 300.00 for the quick release's themselves and the special adapter bars needed.

I'm not sure I would trust it in the long run and it only mounts in 4 places.

Autohome themselves recommends mounting the RTT to 3 load bars when used for off road use. I'm in total agreement with FJtest on mounting these tents. Evasive lane changes and emergency stops put a REAL load on the mounting, let alone the forces involved in off roading.

Bolt that puppy down hard in 6 places.
Totally understand. If I could a close up on the underside how you attached. I am a newbie to this FJ and RTT.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Also how do you mount with such a tight space? It was a bit difficult with the OEM rack having to unbolt the rack to shift our hands underneath it.
Correct, there are only a few inches of vertical clearance between the roof and the underside of the crossbars. If I remember correctly, I had to use a low-profile 1/4" drive socket and 'Gearwrench' type ratcheting box-end wrenches.

The good side is that no one is going to casually unbolt and steal the RTT.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Totally understand. If I could a close up on the underside how you attached. I am a newbie to this FJ and RTT.
I'll post some photos tomorrow showing the details of the attachment points.

I 'customized' the Prinsu rack using (2X) 1" X 2" 80:20 extrusions as crossbars at the four primary rack attach points, with another 1" X 2" crossbar under the center of the tent. I used 1" X 1" crossbars at all other locations.

Also, I fabbed 1/8" thick stainless steel clamp plates to connect the T-slots on the underside of the RTT to the rack crossbars, since none of the Maggiolina mounting kits would straddle the 2" wide crossbars.

All the primary mounting hardware is stainless steel, with Nylok nuts to prevent loosening.

I check the mounting hardware attaching the rack to the roof, and the RTT to the rack, every year, and after 2X FJ Summits and hundreds of miles of offroading, nothing has loosened even a fraction of a turn.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll try and get some pictures in the morning. Most racks will vary in regards to mounting a RTT. Remember mine is a Front Runner rack with 3 Front Runner load bars coupled with their 1" risers to raise the RTT up to the edge of the rack. Many other racks are equally as good, pick your poison. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try and get some pictures in the morning. Most racks will vary in regards to mounting a RTT. Remember mine is a Front Runner rack with 3 Front Runner load bars coupled with their 1" risers to raise the RTT up to the edge of the rack. Many other racks are equally as good, pick your poison. :)
Lots of information to digest. Really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is how I have my Maggiolina Extreme mounted on a Front Runner rack.

I used 3 standard load bars running the width of the tent, separated as equally as I could for load distribution across the entire tent/roof rack. The risers bring the load bars up to the height of the roof racks outer frame. If the rack was a couple of inches wider and a few inches longer ...... the risers could be eliminated. I was overly concerned with having an overly large rack (big mistake) while searching for the rack I would buy.

The 2 rear corner brackets/bolts are easily accessed, the middle one, along with the front one require time, and an even temper. Again, ratcheting speed wrenches and an 18" ratchet and short socket really help the process.

A thief will have to spend some time to remove this tent is a BIG plus.

What appears to be a spacer between the washer and load bar is actually NOT a spacer. The washer is sitting flush with the bracket. Its just a mineral deposit from water making the picture weird. Probably from a prior mounting position getting everything exactly where I wanted it.

This was a real learning experience from the school of hard knocks. IF you use a Front Runner rack ........ MAKE SURE you position the tent in a place (front to back) that allows the latches on the tent to drop down all the way, allowing the release of the roof portion. I failed to do this on my 2nd attempt, and I had to loosen everything up and slide the tent back a couple of inches. :whistle:

It's a great rack and everything worked out fine ........... but it took several attempts to get it to the point that I was happy with everything.

IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1279.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is how I have my Maggiolina Extreme mounted on a Front Runner rack.

I used 3 standard load bars running the width of the tent, separated as equally as I could for load distribution across the entire tent/roof rack. The risers bring the load bars up to the height of the roof racks outer frame. If the rack was a couple of inches wider and a few inches longer ...... the risers could be eliminated. I was overly concerned with having an overly large rack (big mistake) while searching for the rack I would buy.

The 2 rear corner brackets/bolts are easily accessed, the middle one along with the front one require time, and an even temper. Again, ratcheting speed wrenches and an 18" ratchet and short socket really help the process.

A thief will have to spend some time to remove this tent is a BIG plus.

What appears to be a spacer between the washer and load bar is actually NOT a spacer. The washer is sitting flush with the bracket. Its just a mineral deposit from water making the picture weird. Probably from a prior mounting position getting everything exactly where I wanted it.

This was a real learning experience from the school of hard knocks. IF you use a Front Runner rack ........ MAKE SURE you position the tent in a place (front to back) that allows the latches on the tent to drop down all the way, allowing the release of the roof portion. I failed to do this on my 2nd attempt, and I had to loosen everything up and slide the tent back a couple of inches. :whistle:

It's a great rack and everything worked out fine ........... but it took several attempts to get it to the point that I was happy with everything.

View attachment 1131883 View attachment 1131884
Thank you for taking the photos. Is the load bar equal to what Front Runner calls Support Channels from the previous pic I sent on the thread?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
And here's how I mounted my Maggiolina Extreme on the Prinsu rack.

Front of tent must be setback slightly behind air deflector so front latches have clearance to pivot down.
Front view.JPG

Grab handles on rear crossbar for support when standing on rear bumper to access latch and tuck in tent material when collapsing tent.
Rear view with grab handles.JPG

Grab handles mounted on rack siderail at both sides of ladder position for support when entering and exiting tent, with another handle at front for accessing latches & providing a hand-hold when standing on sliders and tucking in tent fabric when collapsing tent.
Side view with grab handles.JPG

Detail of rear mounts - 1 primary mount, plus one "anti-slide" backup mount at end of RTT T-slot
Detail - rear mounts.JPG

Main mounts - 4 locations. Stainless-steel clamp plates, with stainless fasteners.
Detail of clamping bar.JPG

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thank you for taking the photos. Is the load bar equal to what Front Runner calls Support Channels from the previous pic I sent on the thread?
No, they are different, and cheaper. I think the Support Channels are for the quick release system, not sure though.

It appears that FJtest's tent sits about an inch lower than mine, and that is good. (y)

If you don't actually want a roof rack, the Rhino Rack Back Bone and Yakima load bars are worth looking into. Not sure how strong that would be though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
trying to visualize getting your hands in there. Will invest in a Gear wrench. Amazing job with the rack set up on front runner and prisnu.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts