Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there is a thread out there with this situation but I got tired of searching.... I currently have the RC 3" lift on my 14 FJC. I am running the stock 17" alloy wheels. Right now I am running 285/75r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers and they rub on the UCAs when I turn left or right and of course they rub on the body mount. I am about to take them off and downsize to a 285/70r17. Can anybody tell me if I am going to have the same problem with the UCAs? I am sure the body mount issue will go away. I DO NOT want to run a wheel spacer! Just wanting to know before I go drop another grand or so on some tires to have the same problem. Any input is appreciated. PS, I will be going with another mud tire, not all-terrains.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I ran 33x12.50.17s Cooper STT on stock alloys and had zero rub problems, especially on the Body Mount. The A-ARM I couldn't fit a thumb in between but I didn't have any rub. You can resolve that problem by a set of 1.25 SpiderTrax hub and wheel centric spacers or go to a different set of wheels. When I went to my Trophy wheels I could put my entire hand in between the tire and the a arm. I am now on 35s on my Trophy wheels with still stock UCAs. My next upgrades are coilovers, LT rear, and UCAs since I have been wheeling allot more than I originally figured I would. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Seems odd I did not have any rubbing at my upper control arms with the tire size you mention, mind you my wheel is the TRD 16". I suspect you are using the stock UCA's??? Why don't you save the $1000.00 dollars on tires and upgrade the UCA's, this should give you lots of tire clearance for little more than half the cost of tires plus labor giving you a much better suspension for a lift, providing better alignment specs which I suspect is why your having the rubbing issues.
Just wondering why are you apposed to wheel spacers and or a body mount chop. Performance wise there is no recorded or proven performance or reliability comprimise to either when proper products are used.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,935 Posts
285/75/17 is your problem...that is almost a 34" tire.

285/70/17s dont rub.

UCAs and a BMC should make them work though. Otherwise new lower offset wheels (~4 or 4.5"BS) and a BMC would do it. You will get the most for your money from UCAs since they will help your alignment adjustment and travel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I don't like the idea of spacers on a vehicle that carries my family down the interstate. If it was a trail-only vehicle, maybe. My original intention was to go with the 285/70r17, but I came across a good deal on the 285/75s so I went with them. I don't see any hardcore wheeling, so a lot of travel isn't needed. Mine sees more mud than anything else. My hope is that a 285/70 clears the problem...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts