Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FJ Fam,
I finally lifted my 08. Got OME front (heavy) and rear (medium) as well as 285/70R17 Duratracs. It rubs when I turn right. The aft part of the tire rubs on the rubber mini-mudflap piece that is bolted onto the car body. Was thinking to just take the mudflaps off on both sides. Any suggestions on an alternative without chopping? If rubbing now while driving on streets, I fear once offroad it's not going to be good.

Additionally, my tams light is on which I expected since the Toyota tams leaks air on my new wheels. What I didn't know was the traction control lights are on too. Any suggestions on how to sync it with the oem system? Is this a normal occurrence when lifting you rig? If no way to sync it, how do I turn the indicator lights off?

Lastly, I should've did my math but thought getting a 3" lift would mean gaining 3" from ground to edge of wheel well flares. Didn't think to add the 2" on the bigger tires (from stock 31 and change to 33s). My ride is 5" higher on all 4 corners. Looks badass but didn't expect it. Will post pics once completed.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Not clear what "tams" is; do you mean TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)?

Not clear what "...since the Toyota tams leaks air on my new wheels ..." means. No wheel/TPMS/tire combination should 'leak air' unless something was damaged or incorrectly installed.

The Traction Control warning light has nothing to do with the TPMS system; most likely one of the cables to a wheel speed sensor was damaged during the front suspension work.

Who installed the lift?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,856 Posts
Get an alignment. Have them add as much positive caster as possible - that will pull the wheels forward. If they are maxxed out, then you will need aftermarket UCAs. Probably a smart move anyway with the lift.

If you have multiple lights on - traction control, ABS, ect - then they fugged up the wire harness. Check that out, I have had this happen as well and I checked the harness, jiggled some things, disconnected the battery a while, and it went away and never came back.

If you dont have a heavy steel bumper or winch you will probably get extra height since you use OME heavy coils. Not to mention a bone jarring ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tam’s was an auto correct. Meant TPMS. I’ll have them check the wheels again but installer initially installed a Toyota tpms he had in the shop on the new wheel and it was flat the next morning. So he used non Toyota’s tpms and it held the air. He actually never used the tpms from my tires. I’ll have him try the tpms from my spare today and see if it’s flat tomorrow. Installer is a mom and pop store. Thinking I shouldve

I got new UCAs as well installed. I’ll have castor moved forward passed 3.5 and see if it still rubs. I plan on steel bumper in future hence the heavy coils only in front. I also have RTT on it as well as steel drawers in back. Once loaded with gear shouldn’t be too harsh of a ride.

I’m going to try the jiggling the wire harness and disconnecting the battery. I was thinking they may have messed up with the wires too and asked them whether he disconnected the wire brackets before taking uca and he said he didn’t have to because he supported the wires. When he told me that I got on here because that sounded bad.

Thanks so much for the input and advice folks! Really appreciate it. Will post pics once completed. Must say it looks badass! Can’t wait to take it to Lost Coast for a overlanding trip once this lockdown eases.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Tam’s was an auto correct. Meant TPMS. I’ll have them check the wheels again but installer initially installed a Toyota tpms he had in the shop on the new wheel and it was flat the next morning. So he used non Toyota’s tpms and it held the air. He actually never used the tpms from my tires. I’ll have him try the tpms from my spare today and see if it’s flat tomorrow. Installer is a mom and pop store. Thinking I shouldve

I got new UCAs as well installed. I’ll have castor moved forward passed 3.5 and see if it still rubs. I plan on steel bumper in future hence the heavy coils only in front. I also have RTT on it as well as steel drawers in back. Once loaded with gear shouldn’t be too harsh of a ride.

I’m going to try the jiggling the wire harness and disconnecting the battery. I was thinking they may have messed up with the wires too and asked them whether he disconnected the wire brackets before taking uca and he said he didn’t have to because he supported the wires. When he told me that I got on here because that sounded bad.

Thanks so much for the input and advice folks! Really appreciate it. Will post pics once completed. Must say it looks badass! Can’t wait to take it to Lost Coast for a overlanding trip once this lockdown eases.
The wheel speed sensor wires are pretty delicate. What seems to happen is that they get put under tension when the spindle is allowed to droop during suspension work, and the inner conductor (wire) gets broken, but the outer insulating jacket only gets 'stretched', so it's not externally obvious that the inner wire is broken.

As the outer insulation slowly shrinks back to its original length, it may (or may not) pull the broken ends of the inner wire back into electrical contact with each other. It may, and then the problem seems to go away (for a while), at least until the suspension gets worked hard and there is a lot of travel. Then, the problem may reappear as an intermittent loss of speed sensor signal.

There should be an OBDII code (active or pending) that will help you determine which sensor is providing a bad signal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much FJtest! Everyone experienced is telling me they never had an issue with ome lift and new spc uca with 285/70R17 rubbing. I'm in process of chopping now due to rubbing. I caster to 4 and it still rubbed. Now I have an issue with negative camber. Any ideas on possible causes?

·
トヨタ Master
7,619 Posts
It is possible that the tire shop damaged a sensor or two when they mounted the new tires. This is pretty common, especially for a new tire tech who doesn't understand the mechanical nature of how the tire slips on the wheel and where the bead is located 360* around the wheel at all times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts