Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How did you bent all ur wheels?!?!?! Where u jumping that s***? Haha when I think I'm gonna do 35 inch kevlars and air them down to about 18 to 20. I may change my wheels. I haven't decided yet. As far as body damage. I would be butt hurt for like 30 minutes and a beer. I will make sure to do the mosquito thing. I want to camp ag buck tail and then at the topish. Any camping suggestions for the path. I want to make a two to three day trip out of the trail. I'm open for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
There are tons of campgrounds on the Loon Lake side. I really enjoyed Airport Flats (not an airport and not flat, go figure). Buck Island is a nice spot...also where we ran into the bears. Rubicon Springs is your main destination - it would be a cool place to hang out for a day. You can probably find some dispersed camping at the top of Cadillac Hill but I'll let others more familiar with that area tell you about good spots. I don't remember any defined camping areas up there.

I highly recommend camping up at Buck Lake off the Tahoe end of the trail.

If you're really wondering about how wheels can get bent on this trail, I question whether you understand what you're getting yourself into...

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Here's me:

I will take my pickup or my Land Cruiser on the Rubicon.

I will not take my not-yet-paid-for, IFS front FJ Cruiser on the Rubicon (I did run Cadillac out to the lake, but that's not the tough part).

I would take some other trails first, like:
  • Signal Peak
  • Poker Flat
  • Hell Hole
  • Long Canyon
  • Strawberry Pass
  • Plummer Ridge
  • Pardoe
  • Deer Valley
  • Barney Riley
  • Slick Rock
  • Niagara Rim
  • Budweiser Canyon
  • Bronco Canyon
  • Swamp Lake
The toughest trails in California are:
  • Fordyce
  • Rubicon
  • Dusy-Ershim

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I have have absolutley gouged my wheels. But never bent them. You guys are making me nervous lol.
He was talking about steelies (steel wheels). Like Voight said above, steel bends, alloys crack (or gouge, chip, etc.). Some people prefer steel wheels due to the ability to repair them on the trail (hammer back into shape or whatever). If you damage an alloy severely enough on the trail that it will no longer hold a tire or air, there's not usually a viable trail repair. That said, I've never seen an alloy wheel in that bad of shape but have seen people give up on trying to fix a steel wheel. Your mileage may vary. I absolutely agree that wheel stiffening rings are a must on steelies for a trail like this. You get the added benefit of valve stem protection as well.

No reason to be scared or nervous, you just need to respect and be fully aware of what you're getting yourself and your FJC into. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Im like a shy high school girl on rocks and I don't want to hold a bunch of bad ass solid axle rigs while on the trail lol
Right on. I never want to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might consider pushing this one off until you have more experience/confidence? It might be the difference between a really fun trip of a lifetime or a white knuckled nerve fest that's not any fun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I believe you are right good sir. Some more mods and more time on the rocks will get me where I want to be. Any other good suggestions on the west cost? I live in washington but still want to make a good trip. Depending on what I get ordered for mods while I'm gone I may still go. But for now I may push it off until the summer of 2016 when my rig is 100% ready.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Good ma'am, you mean...😉

Since you're in Washington, you should hit the Naches area this next year with me. There are some rocky trails that will get you some experience. Having been to the Rubicon myself (but with my FJ40) I can assure you you'll want 35's and protection!

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
This pickup is on the Rubicon with a 4" lift and 35s. Very similar to mine, except I'm not exo'd.

If that picture freaks you out, then either pick another trail, or pick another vehicle.

If looking at the pictures on this page freaks you out, then definitely pick another trail.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I believe you are right good sir. Some more mods and more time on the rocks will get me where I want to be. Any other good suggestions on the west cost? I live in washington but still want to make a good trip. Depending on what I get ordered for mods while I'm gone I may still go. But for now I may push it off until the summer of 2016 when my rig is 100% ready.
I'm Jessica...nice to meet you. :lol:

Sounds like you have a good plan. The more ready you and your rig are, the more fun you'll have on this trail. :bigthumb:

Wish I could give you more suggestions on trails out in your area but my home turf is the Colorado Rockies so I'm far from knowledgable on what's available to you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well I like I said before I'm deploying and won't be back until some time in september. If you go to the naches after I get back I'm totally in. Thanks for all the input! I will be getting 35s. And after my list of parts I made in the beginning I will be gear down to 4.88s unless you have other suggestions. I may try to go to browns camp this weekend in oregon. Lots of good terrain there.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Here is a thought. Plan on going with the TLCA Rubithon event. As a part of the event there is a lot of support along the trail to ensure everyone makes it safe. There is usually a group of FJCs so you have experts that are familiar with how it will behave as they spot you through the boulders that never end from start to finish. (think 7 miles of Tillamook Forrest Fire Break 5 ... and sometimes that is the bypass) You do not get much of a chance to relax, you are always on high alert with Rubicon.

The Rubithon is a late spring event and pushes you out an extra 9 months but it gives you time make any mods, become more familiar with how your rig behaves with the new mods and gain a little seat time on trails with rock gardens or some rocky stretches.

A Rubicon Trail off-road adventure is bucklist item that you should enjoy and respect, not fear. The trail changes year to year and is never the same. I've been twice and both times were great but you and your rig need to be prepared for what you'll face.

Safe travels to you.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's me:

I will take my pickup or my Land Cruiser on the Rubicon.

I will not take my not-yet-paid-for, IFS front FJ Cruiser on the Rubicon (I did run Cadillac out to the lake, but that's not the tough part).

I would take some other trails first, like:
Signal Peak
Poker Flat
Hell Hole
Long Canyon
Strawberry Pass
Plummer Ridge
Pardoe
Deer Valley
Barney Riley
Slick Rock
Niagara Rim
Budweiser Canyon
Bronco Canyon
Swamp Lake

The toughest trails in California are:
Fordyce
Rubicon
Dusy-Ershim
I agree with starting with the moderate trails first. When I lived in NORCAL back in the 80s, I ran Barney Riley in my locked Suzuki (about as big as a 4wheeler these days) and it was fun, but some steep rocky climbs put you to the test. We camped at the Carson River and crossed over to the hot springs. Don't think you can drive across the river now.

4x4TrailMaps - Barney Riley Trail

I then went with my friend with a CJ5 as a passenger on the Rubicon and that was way beyond my off road skills and the capability of my vehicle at that time in my life. I then moved with my parents out of Cali and had never a chance to get back to Tahoe with a vehicle that could go off road. One day I will....

Enjoy being outdoors!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sorry for the long wait on the reply. I'm currently deployed and have a lot of parts waiting for me. After ready what you guys have posted I decided to get a little more seat time before attempting the Rubicon. I may get the change to make some good trips when I get back. I appreciate the guidance!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts