Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my used 2008 FJ came with some 17" Weld Racing rims and the stock alloy 16" spare. I'm trying to sell the 16" spare to get a 17" spare instead, but what kind of problems would I have if I had to run the 16" spare in an emergency? Would it be risking damage to the drivetrain or suspension?

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
Are the tires the same size? Rim size won't matter a hill of beans but if you have a stock sized spare and the 285's on the ground you will want to make sure that you have a 285 tire as the spare. Mis-matched tire sizes on the the rear (or on any corner of a M/T) can cause problems for your differential.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
The size of the wheel is not the issue, the size of the tire is. If both tires have the same diameter then -no you will be fine. If for some reason the truck came with lets say for example 285/70 R17's and the spare is a 265/75 R16 then yes you will have a problem because the spare is over an inch (at least) smaller.

There are lots of tire computers on the web that you can punch in the sizes and it will show the differences between them. Heres one that even shows you a picture.

Tire size calculator

:cheers:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago where the spare was smaller and the local tire shop, which I trust, told me it would cause damage if the diameter is different, so I bought a steel rim w/tire, in the same size as the other four ,for a spare. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stock 16" spare with 265/75R16 tire.

I've got a local buyer interested in the 16" spare so I'm hoping that goes thru and then I'm looking to buy a set of 5 Black Rock rims so they will all match. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts