Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forklifts run on it, my home generator runs on it, you used to be able to buy cars and trucks that ran on it (maybe you still can?).

How hard would it be to convert from gasoline to propane? Is it cost effective (does propane cost less per gallon then gas, better/worse mph)?

There have been posts on running FJs on diesel, hydrogen, e85 and water.....propane is apparently something that works and is available as a fuel source. Granted if you are the wilds of Moab you would have an issue getting fuel, but every RV place and a lot of gas stations offer propane.

There's a wide spectrum of very educated and experienced people on this forum. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
It's cheap and a sustainable fuel source, just rot some trash and make more. Ive seen a couple older toys converted and wheelin with propane so it's definitly not a power issue. It is widely availiable and cheap. about 12 bucks for 5 gallons here in san Diego. I just saw a spot on the news last night about "why is the government making it so hard for propane vehicles." Well it comes down to taking money out of powerful pockets. they dont like that.
I'll wait till gas is 15 bucks a gallon before I swap. so probably next month some time:jester:

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
i have a buddy who WAS thinking of converting a 99 suburban over to propane, and it was all good, untill he realized that it was going to cost him almost 8,000 to swap over...that ended that thougt quickly

·
Registered
590 Posts
I dont think anyone makes one because of smog. Here is a quote from Propane.com

Finally an alternative to troublesome carburetors and complicated fuel injection systems!
These are designed to withstand the abuse of severe weather and extreme abuse.

THESE ARE NOT FOR SMOG CONTROLLED CARS AND TRUCKS!
WE DON"T KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS A KIT FOR THEM.

But as far as older trucks used for rock crawling here is a website that you can get everything you need. Propane Conversion Kits

·
Registered
71 Posts
ajstoy - can you break down the cost to me. I do not understand how it was that much and I would like any information that you may have on this.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used to work for a very small construction company and we had two lifts converted to propane so we could run inside buildings. I can guarantee that company didn't pay that much to convert them.
On the lifts was a JLG type lift that ran a pretty big motor.

I always understood that it was a fairly simple conversion because the propane doesn't need to go through the carb. It was injected into the airflow with some sort of spacer that went between the carb and the intake.

I'm not sure what your mileage would be. That would really be the deciding factor.

Oh and the fact that the G-Men would want their cut if you are using fuel that isn't road taxed.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
It's cheap and a sustainable fuel source, just rot some trash and make more. Ive seen a couple older toys converted and wheelin with propane so it's definitly not a power issue. It is widely availiable and cheap. about 12 bucks for 5 gallons here in san Diego. I just saw a spot on the news last night about "why is the government making it so hard for propane vehicles." Well it comes down to taking money out of powerful pockets. they dont like that.
I'll wait till gas is 15 bucks a gallon before I swap. so probably next month some time:jester:
:jester: - I feel ya brother

Looks like your rock'n hard man - :rocker:

-

-

·
Registered
493 Posts
You're thinking of methane, not propane. Propane is a by-product (component) and is processed from natural gas.
Actually, propane is a by product from refining crude oil. I think the only problems with running it in our FJ's is the emission control system (cats and O2 sensors) It is a relatively inexpensive conversion compared to nat. gas since the tanks are low pressure in relation to nat. gas. it is a simple system where the only thing you need to do is find the appropriate spacer for the orafice valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts